You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-15 13:14:24

CountZukula

[solved] ISCSI - driver not found

I have a backup system running on btrfs that mounts an ISCSI device after which I send/receive my subvolumes to the ISCSI target. This worked fine, up until +- the 9th of january. I performed a reboot beforehand, and I guess I had a generic system upgrade before that. No changes were made to the open-iscsi package as far as I can see.

Connecting to the ISCSI service now gets me this error message:

iscsiadm: Could not login to [iface: default, target: iqn.2007-09.telin.redcop.istgt:jnieland-raptorjesus-c, portal: 192.168.41.183,3260].
iscsiadm: initiator reported error (12 - iSCSI driver not found. Please make sure it is loaded, and retry the operation)

Tried to look for reasons, my first guess was that a necessary kernel module was not loaded. The wiki says that the following modules are used:  scsi_transport_iscsi, iscsi_tcp, libiscsi.

The following are loaded:

> lsmod | grep iscsi
scsi_transport_iscsi   106496  1
scsi_mod              204800  3 libata,scsi_transport_iscsi,sg

I guess I'm missing iscsi_tcp...

> modprobe iscsi_tcp
modprobe: FATAL: Module iscsi_tcp not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.11-1-ARCH

Currently, my understanding of the kernel is too limited to understand why a module should just disappear from the system. Did this actually happen, or is this caused by something else? I am on the verge of trying to compile the module into the kernel myself, and it would spare me a lot of hassle and potential problems if I knew that this problem was caused by something else entirely!

Last edited by CountZukula (2018-01-15 14:20:03)

#2 2018-01-15 13:46:22

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: [solved] ISCSI - driver not found

I am not sure what's wrong with your system, but try updating it. The module *is* there, at least on the 4.14.13 kernel.

# pacman -Ql | grep iscsi_tcp
linux /usr/lib/modules/4.14.13-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/scsi/iscsi_tcp.ko.xz
linux /usr/lib/modules/4.14.13-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/scsi/libiscsi_tcp.ko.xz
linux-headers /usr/lib/modules/4.14.13-1-ARCH/build/include/scsi/libiscsi_tcp.h

#3 2018-01-15 14:19:38

CountZukula

Re: [solved] ISCSI - driver not found

Well, this is embarrassing, I apparently wrongly remember rebooting twice after a system upgrade. The old kernel was still loaded, so it was looking in the wrong /lib/modules folder, which made the call to the iscsi fail. After a reboot it picked up the right kernel version and everything obviously works as intended again. I will leave my shame here for prosperity!

Board footer