You are not logged in.

#51 2006-11-08 12:45:17

orjanp

Re: E17 Packing Volunteer

Any news on running engage as a module? It doesn't work on my takhis E17 installation. Seems like it no longer install it as a module, just as a standalone application.

Orjanp...

Ørjan Pettersen

#52 2006-11-08 15:03:47

reverie
Website

The engage module hasn't been updated to the new gadcon, nor has it received any updates in 2 months, looks dead to me. Try running the standalone program like so: "engage -m 0".

>GTK theme for e17

sudo pacman -S gtk-chtheme && gtk-chtheme

>why E17 is great

My favorites are: It's light, fast and extremely themeable, and etk has easy to work with perl bindings wink It is however cvs, expect things to break from time to time, and expect having to reconfigure everything when that happens. That being said, I've used it for a year or so, never really had any problems with it.

#53 2006-11-08 21:43:51

hjorthboggild

Is it possible to define the hinting mode in e17? In the Configuration Panel -> fonts, I can choose between bytecode, automatic and none, but how do I choose between hintslight, hintmedium and hintfull?

Regards,
Simon

#54 2006-11-13 19:28:08

iggy

i got a segfault error after upgrading and can't start enlightenment! even after deleting the .e directory!

i am the only one? i got this since 1-2 weeks!!!

plz help...
mfg iggy

sorry for my bad english smile

#55 2006-11-15 20:48:48

reverie
Website

You have to start E with enlightenment_start (~/.xinitrc: exec /opt/e17/bin/enlightenment_start). Might be it, but it should tell you so, not segfault.

Maybe also make sure you only use E packages from my repo (` pacman -Sy e17-cvs efl-cvs e17-extra-cvs `) and make sure takhis is the top repo in pacman.conf.

Hope that works, because I can't think of anything else... ):

#56 2006-11-16 02:10:02

once

#pacman -Sy e17-cvs efl-cvs e17-extra-cvs
error: evas-test-cvs conflicts with evas-cvs

what is this?

#57 2006-11-16 07:31:12

reverie
Website

once wrote:

#pacman -Sy e17-cvs efl-cvs e17-extra-cvs
error: evas-test-cvs conflicts with evas-cvs

what is this?

Oh shu, a temporary package testing some opengl stuff, they shouldn't both be in the efl-cvs group. Will fix it now. Edit: Fixed.

#58 2006-11-18 12:13:26

kozaki
Website

is fouiny e17 repo maintained in some way ?
In http://elusseau.free.fr/arch/?path=fouiny_repo/, ~all directories are dated 04/11/2006, but latest packages from August.

Seeded last month: Arch 50 gig, derivatives 1 gig
Desktop @3.3GHz 8 gig RAM, linux-ck
laptop #1 Atom 2 gig RAM, Arch linux stock i686 (6H w/ 6yrs old battery smile) #2: ARM Tegra K1, 4 gig RAM, ChrOS
Atom Z520 2 gig RAM, OMV (Debian 7) kernel 3.16 bpo on SDHC | PGP Key: 0xFF0157D9

#59 2006-11-18 18:20:59

Gullible Jones

Don't bother with the Fouiny repo, it's massively outdated and incompatible with the stuff in Arch Current.

#60 2006-11-21 22:12:08

Shagbag

Hi.

I've been itching to try Enlightenment DR17 but I've never had the know-how and confidence to install it.

I started reading the wiki but when I tried pacman -S e17 and it returned absolutely nothing, I knew something was up.  I then searched the forums (yes, some of us newbies do use the search function) and came across this thread.  I've read it from the beginning and I think I know what to do.  However, before I hose my Arch install, I wondered if someone could advise me if what I propose to do is correct or horribly wrong.

I've altered my /etc/pacman.conf file as follows:

#Include = /etc/pacman.d/community
[takhis]
Server = ftp://takhis.net/arch

Do I then run (per once's post, above):

pacman -Sy e17-cvs efl-cvs e17-extra-cvs

Or do I need to do something else?  Again, I was hoping someone would be kind enough to help a newbie out.

Also, assuming what I propose is correct, how do I start it up?

Cheers

#61 2006-11-22 02:56:06

Gullible Jones

You have to do pacman -Sy before installing the stuff. Other than that, you've got it right.

#62 2006-11-22 08:19:45

Shagbag

Excellent!  Thanks!  I've got it working!  Brilliant!  Arch Rocks!  The Arch COMMUNITY rocks!

#63 2006-11-22 19:53:19

furester
Website

How many e17-cvs packages are there?? I want to add my own, but this time it's only a script to build Enlightenment DR17, package the single functionality you want in separate packages and install them using pacman, this way we have a clean system and constantly up to date (I tested this script for nearly a month and it seems to work for me, let me know if you encounter problems).

http://xenos.altervista.org/blogs/index … _e17_0_1_9

I packaged it, but there are also PKGBUILD and sources, let's try! Sorry, the post is in Italian, but the help of the script is in English.

#64 2006-11-23 19:50:43

reverie
Website

Hi, just wondering why you didn't use my pkgbuilds? Anyways, at least take evas e17.profile and all the .desktop files from my repo. Also your e17.desktop is outdated, proper one is included in e-cvs now. I'm sure there's more but you can compare the rest of our pkgbuilds yourself, that was just what I noticed.

Or maybe you just missed my repo back on page 2?:

[takhis]
Server = http://ftp.takhis.net/arch

(or was it ftp hmm/? they're both good wink

furester wrote:

this way we have a clean system and constantly up to date

I won't take that personally wink I actually track cvs and update the packages individually when there's noticeable changes (pushing 30mb down people's throat every day might be overdoing it wink But I might consider splitting up e_modules-cvs like you did, that one is getting a tad big... We'll see. As for the script, isn't it a bit overkill? As in, 1060 lines for one while()? Yes I know my own script is native, but I didn't think anyone wanted it. Oh well, good luck with... whatever it is you want to do... And sorry if I come of sounding as a twat, haven't had my morning fag yet wink

Btw, if you're just scouting for more apps, check this: http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/e/e17

#65 2006-11-24 16:05:39

furester
Website

reverie wrote:

Hi, just wondering why you didn't use my pkgbuilds?

because I started build this script when fouiny maintain a repo for e17-cvs and I took his PKGBUILD, but the script I wrote isn't PKGBUILD dependent so is very easy change all or part of them .. can you give me a url where I can grab them?

reverie wrote:

Anyways, at least take evas e17.profile and all the .desktop files from my repo. Also your e17.desktop is outdated, proper one is included in e-cvs now. I'm sure there's more but you can compare the rest of our pkgbuilds yourself, that was just what I noticed.

I don't understand .. you wrote the .desktop file for "all" the application? in which package do you put them?

reverie wrote:

As for the script, isn't it a bit overkill? As in, 1060 lines for one while()? Yes I know my own script is native, but I didn't think anyone wanted it. Oh well, good luck with... whatever it is you want to do... And sorry if I come of sounding as a twat, haven't had my morning fag yet wink

my intention was to unify the method archers use to package e17 as possible, there are also PKGBUILD in aur, something in extra and so on, if we could use the same method to do the same thing (imho) it will be a better thing! for example .. if you have a little time take a look at my script and say me what is wrong and what you prefer to change, so i change or integrate your comments and you can use it! (if you want)

In this script there are a lot of line because I choose to "echo" as many information as possible, this way a user can run the script, read the output (that says which file modify) and start using e17!

(sorry for my english, i'm a bit tired, i just take an exam!)

#66 2006-11-25 09:53:36

reverie
Website

Well, I understand you now, but there are a few problems.

1) e17 from community repo are using snapshots from http://enlightenment.freedesktop.org/ and not cvs, so our package builds aren't compatible, and they also only package the wm+dm and nothing else, and they're usually out of date anyways. And they're TU's, which I'm not, as that would require me to upload and maintain all the pkgbuilds in AUR, which isn't going to happen as there are, what, 60 builds or so? And m0l0k is doing that anyways. As for using freedesktops snapshots that's bunk IMO. It's the same source as cvs, except _I_ don't get to decide when to update, so I cannot work around api breakages etc. Only solution I can think of is to pretend the community repo doesn't exist at all.

2) e17 is a moving target, I make minor tweaks to the pkgbuilds along the way, usually once or twice a week. So these aren't write once use always pkgbuilds, because the source and their dependencies change, and sometimes I need to temporarily add a --disable-something when that something is broken in cvs wink This makes maintaining a common pool of pkgbuilds rather hard.

3) Architectures, I have already compiled e17 on x86_64 and ppc once, but the pkgbuilds require a few tweaks before I launch those repos, and that I need to add multi-architecture support to the pkgbuilds of course, this is quite a bit of work so I might push it off for a few weeks.

-------------------------------------------------------

All that being said and done, you are absolutely right. There are a lot of different pkgbuilds and scripts out there all trying to do the same thing. So I'm going to help you, I do happen to have some spare time anyways. The first thing I'm going to do is take all the different pkgbuilds out there (community/aur/takhis/yours), compare them and write new ones with the best of each merged, then I'm going to put them all in a tarball.gz and post them here, so you can use them for your script. After that I'll try and get hold of mOlOk and see if I can get him to update his builds in aur to match ours.

A few things to note:

Arch CVS & SVN PKGBUILD guidelines (link) says that: "For cvs pkgs you should avoid pkgver=`date +%y%m%d` - this also inteferes with the functionality of the AUR." Instead you should use versionpkg (pacman -S versionpkg) instead of makepkg, don't worry, I'll make those changes for you. Just so you know why.

On splitting up e_modules-cvs. That is actually going to make things easier for me because I update the packages in my repo individually, not all at once. I'm just wondering if it isn't a bit much? E.g. it will currently add another 29 packages to the repo. Maybe it would be an idea to split them into a handful of subgroups instead, like say e_modules_monitors-cvs, e_modules_experimental-cvs etc. I don't know, anyone reading this feel free to comment.

Yes, I did write .desktop files for all the apps, that way people new to e17 can just go through the Applications menu and explore what's out there, very nifty. They're included in the individual packages, for instance, emphasis-cvs contains emphasis.desktop. You can find my current pkgbuilds  and .desktops at http://ftp.takhis.net/arch/builds/ if you're curious.

And last, but not least. How did your exam go? smile

#67 2006-11-27 17:57:51

furester
Website

reverie wrote:

1) e17 from community repo are using snapshots from http://enlightenment.freedesktop.org/ and not cvs, so our package builds aren't compatible, and they also only package the wm+dm and nothing else, and they're usually out of date anyways. And they're TU's, which I'm not, as that would require me to upload and maintain all the pkgbuilds in AUR, which isn't going to happen as there are, what, 60 builds or so? And m0l0k is doing that anyways. As for using freedesktops snapshots that's bunk IMO. It's the same source as cvs, except _I_ don't get to decide when to update, so I cannot work around api breakages etc. Only solution I can think of is to pretend the community repo doesn't exist at all.

Now (version 0.2.3) the script allow you to download PKGBUILDs from aur (mOLOk's PKGBUILD) and we can modify them just before compile the packages, and mOLOk can also put the modified PKGBUILD in aur if he like! I don't consider packages from community because I don't like use snapshot of a cvs package ..
The question is: you need something usefull to maintain your repo? if you want I can add a method to upload the binary packages so you can do this whit only one command.

reverie wrote:

2) e17 is a moving target, I make minor tweaks to the pkgbuilds along the way, usually once or twice a week. So these aren't write once use always pkgbuilds, because the source and their dependencies change, and sometimes I need to temporarily add a --disable-something when that something is broken in cvs wink This makes maintaining a common pool of pkgbuilds rather hard.

for this reason I wrote that script, wit only a command I can have a fresh e17 installation on a new machine (--build-minimal) but I can also compile only a package at time (--only=evas for example), this way I obtain exactly what you say and with (--very-verbose) I edit the PKGBUILD before compilation.

reverie wrote:

All that being said and done, you are absolutely right. There are a lot of different pkgbuilds and scripts out there all trying to do the same thing. So I'm going to help you, I do happen to have some spare time anyways. The first thing I'm going to do is take all the different pkgbuilds out there (community/aur/takhis/yours), compare them and write new ones with the best of each merged, then I'm going to put them all in a tarball.gz and post them here, so you can use them for your script. After that I'll try and get hold of mOlOk and see if I can get him to update his builds in aur to match ours.

I suggest you to package them using the same directory path as my script, this way mOLOk can use the script to send new PKGBUILDs to aur, using make_e17 --vv we can edit PKGBUILD and then if we are authorized we can put them in aur wit only a command for all the packages: an easy way to manage so much packages .. Then we can try to notify archlinux community the two way to install e17: from your repo and from aur! Only two ways as all the things in Archlinux!

reverie wrote:

On splitting up e_modules-cvs. That is actually going to make things easier for me because I update the packages in my repo individually, not all at once. I'm just wondering if it isn't a bit much? E.g. it will currently add another 29 packages to the repo. Maybe it would be an idea to split them into a handful of subgroups instead, like say e_modules_monitors-cvs, e_modules_experimental-cvs etc. I don't know, anyone reading this feel free to comment.

we can discuss on this, 29 new packages maybe are too much, but as long as e-community write new modules the package will increase its dimension until he become to hard to compile or maintain (for example sometime a module doesn't compile so the package can't be done). Noone has any idea?

reverie wrote:

Yes, I did write .desktop files for all the apps, that way people new to e17 can just go through the Applications menu and explore what's out there, very nifty. They're included in the individual packages, for instance, emphasis-cvs contains emphasis.desktop. You can find my current pkgbuilds  and .desktops at http://ftp.takhis.net/arch/builds/ if you're curious.

it will usefull if also the .desktop file went to aur, we have to tell mOLOk to do the hard work!, or we can wait you rewrite PKGBUILD and the associated dependecies ..

good work guy! really good work ..

P.S.
to read some documentation about make_e17 (in italian) I suggest to visit http://linuxpedia.netsons.org/index.php/Make_e17, there is also some documentation about e17 translated in italian and some self written documents.

reverie wrote:

And last, but not least. How did your exam go? smile

no comment please!

#68 2006-12-01 12:43:56

luisrobles

Well... what version is the lastest?? i must use AUR or REPOS?? please give me a sign, because my desktop want E17 (  wink  lol )

COMPAQ V2417LA NOTEBOOK powered by Arch Linux:
AMD Sempron 3000+ | 512MB 333DDR | HD 60GB | 14'' WXGA Wide | DVD+-RW | Logitech MX510 RED.

[ NOKIA N-gage QD ]
[ PALM Tungsten T2 ]

#69 2006-12-01 19:04:11

reverie
Website

Takhis repo is always up to date, just use that one.

As for me being a bit quiet lately, sorry about that, got caught up in Haskell, will take a look at the builds during the weekend. Interesting language btw, just gets a little confusing with monads... Think I'll just stick with C and perl for now ):

#70 2006-12-03 21:49:04

furester
Website

luisrobles wrote:

Well... what version is the lastest?? i must use AUR or REPOS?? please give me a sign, because my desktop want E17 (  wink  lol )

there isn't a "latest version": e17 isn't yet been released! You can only compile it from cvs (using PKGBUILDs from aur or make_e17) or download it from the repo that is "constantly" up to date!

So, as always, it only depends on your preferences .. there are two way, compile it yourserlf or pacman .. good luck! let us now if you encounter any trouble in confiuring e17

#71 2006-12-13 11:30:57

Eliatamby

Hey reverie,

Is there any chance of getting engage as a module?  At the moment it only runs for me as a standalone.

Thanks mate

#72 2006-12-14 20:35:40

reverie
Website

Engage is a dead duck, last cvs entry was two months ago, and no-one ever actually submitted (or probably even wrote) the module code. Sorry.

On a brighter note, I finally finished the new pkgbuilds, the license bit took forever (because it was soooo boring). All that's left now is test/tweak the builds on ppc and x86_64 and if there aren't any problems I'll upload them soon. For now, we sleep smile

#73 2006-12-14 23:17:09

Exclamation

reverie wrote:

Engage is a dead duck, last cvs entry was two months ago, and no-one ever actually submitted (or probably even wrote) the module code. Sorry.

On a brighter note, I finally finished the new pkgbuilds, the license bit took forever (because it was soooo boring). All that's left now is test/tweak the builds on ppc and x86_64 and if there aren't any problems I'll upload them soon. For now, we sleep smile

awesome, cant wait for 64 smile

#74 2006-12-15 02:41:58

Eliatamby

What do you guys use to keep track of minimized windows?  iBox?

#75 2006-12-15 05:00:08

Basu
Website

I just installed Arch today and have a barebones GUI up (FVWM). Can someone please tell me how to get entrance to start on boot as the default login manager?
Thanks,

EDIT: Forget it, I just added entranced to DAEMONS in rc.conf. Stupid me for not thinking of that earlier. Now I need to figure out how to get entrance to show FVWM

The Bytebaker -- Computer science is not a science and it's not about computers
Check out my open source software at Github

Board footer