You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-15 21:47:33

Deadpool
Member
Registered: 2018-01-15
Posts: 8

Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER

I cant install any extension from any browsers, from https://extensions.gnome.org/ as a user. But it totally works fine with root so what can I do about it? I am very new to arch linux.

Offline

#2 2018-01-15 22:30:27

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,702

Re: Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER

First, Welcome to Arch Linux.

Please don't run big GUI things as root.  This especially means browsers.

Which browsers?  Which extensions? How did you try to install them?  What were the specific errors? 
One of the things least harmful things that can that happen when you run things as root when logged in as a user is that the program creates files that are owned by root in the user's directory -- files which user applications cannot overwrite, change or delete.
Look through the entire tree of your $HOME directory (including dot files) for stuff owned by root and delete them.


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#3 2018-01-16 08:41:38

Deadpool
Member
Registered: 2018-01-15
Posts: 8

Re: Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER

I am trying to install any extension like Dash to dock or pick any 1. I am trying to install them with every browser Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, and Epiphany by that toggle from the particular extension's web page. Then I am also getting prompt which ask me to install or cancel. But after that nothing happens whenever I restart that webpage that toggle automatically moves to off. Also, that extension doesn't appear in my tweak tool. But I can do the same with root ( not using it, was just testing it). So maybe this can be an issue with some kind of user permissions or anything else. But I don't know how to solve this issue.

Offline

#4 2018-01-16 08:59:10

WorMzy
Administrator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 13,668
Website

Re: Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER

So maybe this can be an issue with some kind of user permissions or anything else. But I don't know how to solve this issue.

Like ewaller said -- look through your home directory for any file and folders owned by root. Nothing in your home directory should be owned by root. If you do find any root-owned files or folders, rather than deleting them, I suggest fixing the ownership first.


Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Offline

#5 2018-01-16 09:02:31

ooo
Member
Registered: 2013-04-10
Posts: 1,638

Re: Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER

Did you restart gnome-shell after installing extensions?

Shell extensions from extensions.gnome.org are installed in ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/. Make sure you haven't somehow messed up permissions for that path.

Personally I prefer installing extensions from AUR, and official gnome extensions from gnome-shell-extensions package from arch repos.

Offline

#6 2018-01-16 09:07:41

Deadpool
Member
Registered: 2018-01-15
Posts: 8

Re: Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER

WorMzy wrote:

So maybe this can be an issue with some kind of user permissions or anything else. But I don't know how to solve this issue.

Like ewaller said -- look through your home directory for any file and folders owned by root. Nothing in your home directory should be owned by root. If you do find any root-owned files or folders, rather than deleting them, I suggest fixing the ownership first.

Yup I have checked there is nothing owned by root in my home.

Offline

#7 2018-01-16 09:10:07

Deadpool
Member
Registered: 2018-01-15
Posts: 8

Re: Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER

ooo wrote:

Did you restart gnome-shell after installing extensions?

Shell extensions from extensions.gnome.org are installed in ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/. Make sure you haven't somehow messed up permissions for that path.

Personally I prefer installing extensions from AUR, and official gnome extensions from gnome-shell-extensions package from arch repos.

Yup, I did that many times. Still installed 1 extension with the help of yaourt(dash to panel).

Offline

#8 2018-01-16 10:41:23

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,053

Re: Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER

stat ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions
find ~ -user root

Ensure this isn't some brwoser extension impeding (adblocker, noscript, tapermonkey, ...)

Online

#9 2018-01-16 17:55:47

c00ter
Member
From: Alaskan in Washington State
Registered: 2014-08-28
Posts: 421

Re: Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER


UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

Offline

#10 2018-01-16 17:59:50

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,053

Re: Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER

Would it actually work w/o only by having root privileges??

Online

#11 2018-01-16 18:25:48

Deadpool
Member
Registered: 2018-01-15
Posts: 8

Re: Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER

seth wrote:

Would it actually work w/o only by having root privileges??

Yes, I can enable any extensions by logging in the root. But i can do anything in user.

Offline

#12 2018-01-16 18:27:48

Deadpool
Member
Registered: 2018-01-15
Posts: 8

Re: Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER

c00ter wrote:

Yes, already did that. I was using Ubuntu 17.10 before this and I had the same issue but I managed to fix it easily by installing chrome-gnome-shell and add on in both Mozilla and Chrome.

Offline

#13 2018-01-16 18:29:39

Deadpool
Member
Registered: 2018-01-15
Posts: 8

Re: Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER

When I turn any of these extensions from the root then it works perfectly fine ( just did for the testing purpose ). But doesn't work from user. hmm

Offline

#14 2018-01-16 18:34:31

Deadpool
Member
Registered: 2018-01-15
Posts: 8

Re: Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER

seth wrote:
stat ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions
find ~ -user root

Ensure this isn't some brwoser extension impeding (adblocker, noscript, tapermonkey, ...)

I have also tried it from epiphany and epiphany is totally stock no browser extensions or nothing.

Offline

#15 2018-01-16 18:42:38

WorMzy
Administrator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 13,668
Website

Re: Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER

Please stop multiposting. If you are the last person to comment on a topic, and have something more to add, please use the edit button and amend your post.


Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Offline

#16 2018-01-16 19:26:52

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,053

Re: Gnome extension issue as NON ROOT USER

Still lacking

seth wrote:
stat ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions
find ~ -user root

My later remark was addressing c00ter, we got that it works as root, but not as regular user.

GNOME/Web (tbfka epiphany) actually supports plugins as well and - and just as chromium it requires the gse plugin (you're asked on https://extensions.gnome.org/ to install it if it's not found)

also (as regular user)

loginctl session-status
python --version # though this would be hard to explain

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB