You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-19 18:03:23

ylikone
Website

[SOLVED] Upgrade just broke scp

The upgrade I ran recently broke scp (although ssh still works).  I was getting error messages for missing libcrypto.so.0.9.7 and libssl.so.0.9.7.  To remedy this, I just copied those two files (from an older backup) into /usr/lib/ and now scp works again.  I know this isn't a nice way to fix my problem... but after doing a search here all I can see is people saying to downgrade.  I don't want to downgrade anything if this is going to be fixed in the next few patches anyway.

#2 2006-07-19 23:47:15

codemac
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Upgrade just broke scp

pacman -Syu

Upgrade everything. It asking for libssl and libcrypto as old versions just means that you didn't update openssh.

So, when updating your system, please update all dependents of programs. You updating your libraries and not your apps is an action not supported on archlinux ;-)

#3 2006-07-20 00:57:51

ylikone
Website

codemac wrote:
pacman -Syu

Upgrade everything. It asking for libssl and libcrypto as old versions just means that you didn't update openssh.

So, when updating your system, please update all dependents of programs. You updating your libraries and not your apps is an action not supported on archlinux ;-)

Actually, I did a pacman -Syudf
I did update everything!   I never do partial updates!  The first thing I did after getting this problem was to go try "pacman -S openssl", but it says it's already at the latest verion (:: openssl-0.9.8b-1: is up to date.).  And if I look in /usr/lib, I can see that the latest versions, libcrypto.so.0.9.8 and libssl.so.0.9.8 are there.  scp and sftp were complaining that they wanted OLDER versions of those two files... this is why I copied .0.9.7 versions into /usr/bin.  It worked anyway.

#4 2006-07-20 02:57:04

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

You should use:
pacman -Syu
to update your system. The use of the d and f options to bypass depends and overwrite files could lead to strange behavior or a broken system.

Update with pacman -Syu and it'll probably fix your problem. I have  openssh 4.3p2-2 and it works fine with openssl 0.9.8b-1.

#5 2006-07-20 04:15:29

codemac
Website

ylikone wrote:
codemac wrote:
pacman -Syu

pacman -Syudf

notice the difference?

Your command specifically does _not_ update dependencies, and also forces all files to be written whether they are in package management or not.

So you were trying!  But not enough to look at the specifics of the man page wink

#6 2006-07-20 09:56:27

brain0
Developer

ylikone wrote:

Actually, I did a pacman -Syudf

Never use -f in combination with -u. Never use -d in combination with -u.

I did update everything!

No, you didn't.

I never do partial updates!  The first thing I did after getting this problem was to go try "pacman -S openssl", but it says it's already at the latest verion (:: openssl-0.9.8b-1: is up to date.).  And if I look in /usr/lib, I can see that the latest versions, libcrypto.so.0.9.8 and libssl.so.0.9.8 are there.  scp and sftp were complaining that they wanted OLDER versions of those two files... this is why I copied .0.9.7 versions into /usr/bin.  It worked anyway.

Suggestions like "I just copied file xyz from wherever to some random location" are not welcome here. They tell other users how to break their system in most cases.

Your problem is that scp and sftp have not been updated and thus still require outdated libraries. This could be due to your funny -Syudf which you shouldn't use (and if you still use it, don't expect any help if stuff breaks).
To fix the problem, reinstall/update the openssh package.

#7 2006-07-20 16:02:10

ylikone
Website

I just ran "pacman -Syu" (notice without the fd at the end).  I have only recently started adding the fd at the end... I won't use it anymore if this is the cause of my problems.  Anyway, as I said in previous posts, I ran "pacman -S openssl" after the scp problem started.  I actually even did "pacman -R openssl" first and then re-installed to make sure it's all there.  The problem was not fixed.  Hence I copied the old library files into place which made it work.  I NEED scp, as I use it daily for work purposes.  I had to do this quick fix and I posted here in case anybody else has this issue.  I can't believe I'm the only one experiencing this little quirk?!  So if my comments aren't welcome here, what is the point of having these forums?

EDIT:

I figured out my problem!!  For some reason I had an older "scp" program in my PATH which was being executed instead of /usr/bin/scp !  Argh!!  Anyway, I got rid of the extra scp and now the error is gone.  So I was updated properly all along, was just inadvertently running the wrong "scp".

Board footer