You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-19 15:05:27

lnx

Display different files linked in a database

My sister is struggling with an MS Access database. She wants to create a form in which pictures, a word file and/or a pdf file can be displayed without having to click on a link to open an external application. Because I use archlinux I am no longer used to working with MS Windows or MS Office. So I was wondering how I could do this in linux. If could figure this out, all my sister would have to do is to install virtualbox with archlinux as a guest.
Even search terms with which I can google, are welcome because I don't even have a clue of what I'm searching for.

Last edited by lnx (2018-01-19 17:21:13)

#2 2018-01-19 17:20:41

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Display different files linked in a database

My first inclination would be Django, Python with a MariaDB. Or,  AngularJS, Python with MongoDB.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2018-01-19 17:23:50

lnx

Thank you ewaller. Maybe this is going to be too complicated for me, but at least I can start googling!

Last edited by lnx (2018-01-19 17:38:03)

#4 2018-01-19 20:53:44

mrunion
Website

@lnx
As a software developer for many, many years I think you are barking up the wrong tree. It sounds like you are saying you want a single app to show images, word docs or PDFs, right? IE/Edge will do that (with certain things installed) so the closest you are going to get on Windows is to write an Access form that has an HTML/Browser "window" embedded in it. And that's just a guess.

But again, drawing on years of experience, this is not worth doing. Open the link in the native app that is supposed to open it on the user's machine. You will be much better off. Otherwise you have to support the SECURITY features of Word Docs and code for any changes that come along as Word changes their format/standards.

Last edited by mrunion (2018-01-19 20:54:32)

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#5 2018-01-19 21:41:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

lnx wrote:

She wants to create a form in which pictures, a word file and/or a pdf file can be displayed without having to click on a link to open an external application.

There are two very different goals tied together here.  Opening these files in an external application without having to click on a link should be quite doable.  Opening these files without an external application (with a link click or not) will be impossible.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer