You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-19 17:46:20

remus

[SOLVED] Can't install drivers for HP Color LaserJet CP1515n

I'm trying to get my printer (HP Color LaserJet CP1515n) to work on Arch but am running into problems.
Following the Wiki, I installed hplip and ran `hp-setup -i`.

First issue: It correctly identified the printer, but after confirming the name for the print queue, I got:

error: get_data_type(): Field type lookup failed for key plugin-library
error: get_data_type(): Field type lookup failed for key scan-style
error: No PPD found for model color_laserjet_cp1515n using old algorithm.
error: Unable to find an appropriate PPD file.

Would you like to specify the path to the correct PPD file to use (y=yes, n=no*, q=quit) ?

Looking at /usr/share/ppd/HP/, the problem was clear: no PPD file is provided for that printer, for some reason.

Searching through the web, I found numerous posts about problems with Linux and this printer model, but none of them had a problem installing the drivers, which is weird. Should the PPD be there and just isn't there for me?
Anyways, I then found this Launchpad question and thought I'd try the solution from there (#11). However, when I try to manually specify the PPD path ("/usr/share/ppd/HP/hp-color_laserjet_2800-ps.ppd.gz", but I also tried a different one with the same result), I get the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/hp-setup", line 560, in <module>
    desc = nickname_pat.search(nickname).group(1)
TypeError: cannot use a string pattern on a bytes-like object

Any ideas what else I could try, or how to continue from there?

Last edited by remus (2018-01-22 11:53:06)

#2 2018-01-20 14:15:40

ayekat

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install drivers for HP Color LaserJet CP1515n

Have you checked whether the hpoj package from the AUR contains the required driver?

pkgshackscfgblag

#3 2018-01-22 11:52:36

remus

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install drivers for HP Color LaserJet CP1515n

ayekat wrote:

Have you checked whether the hpoj package from the AUR contains the required driver?

Thanks, that was it! I now see it's mentioned in the Wiki, too, but so casually that I seem to have read over it.
Apparently I also neglected to actually install CUPS first, which seems to have caused some of the other error messages I was getting.
It's now working fine, thanks a lot again for your help!

Last edited by remus (2018-01-22 11:52:53)

Board footer