You are not logged in.

#26 2006-07-24 16:42:08

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: eclipse vs emacs

Just an aside, branching from the "set of tools where one happens to be an editor" statement.  If you use tools to program, you'll never be as good as you can be.  Helpers are fine and dandy, but if you can't write a working program on a piece of notebook paper, you're too dependant on your "tools".  Personally, I would never hire someone who couldn't write me out some sort of linked-list sorting algorithm flawlessly.

If you don't believe me, find someone who swears by "intellinonsense" and ask them how many paramters std::string::find_first_of takes, and what they're for.  If that's not good enough, how about the return value of sys.exc_info() in python's sys module?

#27 2006-07-24 17:06:57

deficite

I just feel the environments they provide are so different that its not really comparable.

That's the objective comparison. I think the best way for an individual to rate what development environment is better should be subjective. I mean, the very thing is just an opinion poll, why should your answers be purely objective? Now, if vim/emacs and eclipse accomplished two different tasks for me, I would compare them differently. I personally rate tools on the results they provide and not just the interface. That's just the way I personally view things.

So you prefer Eclipse, for the Subject of this threads.(and you think emacs is yummy too)

Actually, no. I hate eclipse. It's a bloated beast that has WAY too many options and is such a generalized platform that I have no interest in it. Eclipse wasn't really designed as a simple IDE. Eclipse is a platform. Eclipse is an environment where one can code some tools and they'll work exactly the same under any system that has eclipse installed. It's a pretty nifty thing, IMHO. However, I do not have any need for this functionality. I actually feel I have to wrestle with IDE's. A text editor doesn't touch your code in any way and sits back and just edits code. gVim with Cream is a dream for me, and even plain gVim is as well. I used to use Kate, but I don't like some of the changes they made to its interface, and I don't use KDE anymore.

And as a FYI: I freaking hate Emacs. Don't let me anywhere near that OS. I did not even cast a vote on this poll because I hate Emacs and I don't need all the functionality of Eclipse. I think it's silly to download ~100MB to do what a text editor can for me.

Just an aside, branching from the "set of tools where one happens to be an editor" statement. If you use tools to program, you'll never be as good as you can be. Helpers are fine and dandy, but if you can't write a working program on a piece of notebook paper, you're too dependant on your "tools". Personally, I would never hire someone who couldn't write me out some sort of linked-list sorting algorithm flawlessly.

I agree with you 100%. The first experience I had programming was in QBasic and when I started C I used TurboC 3.1. I'm glad I started that way because I know most libraries inside out and I don't need to read tutorials to learn anything, I can just use Doxygen.

#28 2006-07-25 01:04:52

user

user wrote:

as an editor, vim win, yeah

Very much OT(coz this thread is about eclipse and emacs), BUT I regret that,

less win, hell fucking yeah.

I removed my sig, cause i select the flag, the flag often the target of enemy.

SAR brain-tumor
[img]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/460/cellphonethumb0ff.jpg[/img]

#29 2006-07-25 06:43:05

pauldonnelly

Personally, I don't think of Emacs as a text editor. Vim is a text editor. Ed is a text editor.

Like Deficite says, Eclipse is a platform that you can build tools on. To me, Emacs is the same thing.  Its 60 megabyte size is ridiculous for a text editor, but for a DE/OS, it's pretty good. Emacs and Eclipse occupy pretty much the same niche, except Emacs pretends to be mainly a text editor and has a very different interface.

#30 2006-07-25 07:37:04

user

updated, for me,

emacs is for c(gcc-4.2), lisp(SBCL 0.9.14.30).
eclipse is for java(jdk1.6.0).

PS: if eclipse CDT 4.0.0 works fine, i will use it for c.
PPS: it works, but still emacs has strong point.

SAR brain-tumor

#31 2006-07-25 18:49:48

allucid

user wrote:

updated, for me,

emacs is for c(gcc-4.2), lisp(SBCL 0.9.14.30).
eclipse is for java(jdk1.6.0).

If you are programming in Lisp, you should try SLIME.

#32 2006-07-25 19:23:43

syamajala
Website

you should also watch this http://bc.tech.coop/blog/050728.html if you use slime

#33 2006-07-26 12:10:04

tomfitzyuk

deficite wrote:

And as a FYI: I freaking hate Emacs. Don't let me anywhere near that OS. I did not even cast a vote on this poll because I hate Emacs and I don't need all the functionality of Eclipse. I think it's silly to download ~100MB to do what a text editor can for me.

How is emacs an OS?

An operating system (OS) is a software program that manages the hardware and software resources of a computer. The OS performs basic tasks, such as controlling and allocating memory, prioritizing the processing of instructions, controlling input and output devices, facilitating networking, and managing files.

I don't think Emacs can do all that.

#34 2006-07-26 13:05:40

syamajala
Website

basically emacs could be an os if you replace agetty with it. have init spawn emacs as soon as your system boots. i've been wanting to try it but without a linux system i can't. i guess the same could be done with vim but i don't really anything about it.

#35 2006-07-26 13:31:44

user

Dude, it is not enough to make emacs to os.

you have to port emacs on movitz ;-)

SAR brain-tumor

#36 2006-07-26 15:47:37

deficite

How is emacs an OS?

I was just being sarcastic, poking fun at the "everything but the kitchen sink" that is emacs.

#37 2006-08-25 14:31:51

sweiss

Call me weird but I don't think one should learn how to use a text editor. For simple things, I choose Kate. For more serious development, and when I want intellisense, I use eclipse. For the console, mcedit works just fine.

Fighting about text editing is either way ridiculous.

#38 2006-08-25 14:52:40

palandir

cat-powered.png

Personally, I hate emacs. Eclipse is a good IDE, but I prefer (G)Vim with several useful scripts (taglist, minibufexplorer, ...) all the way.
And I think Eclipse's bloat isn't as bad as some say it is. If you use Eclipse, you're not using it for quick editing or something like that, and you're not gonna exit it, restart, exit, restart, ...
It's a disadvantage, but not a huge one. I can tolerate that with an IDE.

#39 2006-08-25 15:29:45

soloport

phrakture wrote:

Just an aside, branching from the "set of tools where one happens to be an editor" statement.  If you use tools to program, you'll never be as good as you can be.  Helpers are fine and dandy, but if you can't write a working program on a piece of notebook paper, you're too dependant on your "tools".  Personally, I would never hire someone who couldn't write me out some sort of linked-list sorting algorithm flawlessly.

If you don't believe me, find someone who swears by "intellinonsense" and ask them how many paramters std::string::find_first_of takes, and what they're for.  If that's not good enough, how about the return value of sys.exc_info() in python's sys module?

Me thinks you'd be turning away a miriad of well-suited and experienced programmers with that.  No matter how many times I use a function, I still *often* look up its proto.  Some of us do not pride ourselves on being walking encyclopedias and resent "tests" during interviews, accordingly.  Where I've worked, programmers are paid to think, not to merely code fast, or whatever.  Create a linked list library of functions?  Would have to think it through every time.  That's exactly what libraries and other re-usable code is for.  Understand how linked lists work?  Recognize flaws in an LL algo?  Of course.

Though, I completely agree with your "tools are a poor substitute for a good programmer" stance.  Emacs all the way, baby!

(Me develops Linux drivers, embedded / real-time software, etc., by day; Manage remote servers by night.)

Board footer