You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-26 17:19:11

lithiumx

[Solved]libmpfr.so.4 not found after updating package gcc

So, I tried to update gcc so I could use the 'std_lib_facilities.h' (which is needed for Bjarne Stroustrup's book "Principles and Practice using C++".) But I'm getting the following message when trying to run g++/gcc (the problem is a issue for both of them) after I updated it:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.2.1/cc1: error while loading shared libraries: libmpfr.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've tried finding libmpfr.so.4 in /usr/local/lib so I could create a symlink to /usr/lib or just export it's directory to the PATH, without any success.
Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by lithiumx (2018-01-26 18:17:57)

#2 2018-01-26 17:35:35

arojas
Developer

Re: [Solved]libmpfr.so.4 not found after updating package gcc

#3 2018-01-26 17:42:10

lithiumx

Does that mean I'll have to reinstall all of my current Arch installation? I think I'll just try to install GCC from source, then.

#4 2018-01-26 17:47:20

Slithery
Administrator

Where did you get that idea? Just update your system.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#5 2018-01-26 17:48:50

lithiumx

slithery wrote:

Where did you get that idea? Just update your system.

I tried to update it and it didn't work.

#6 2018-01-26 17:50:53

B1omman

lithiumx wrote:

Does that mean I'll have to reinstall all of my current Arch installation? I think I'll just try to install GCC from source, then.

wiki wrote:

If a partial upgrade scenario has been created, and binaries are broken because they cannot find the libraries they are linked against, do not "fix" the problem simply by symlinking. Libraries receive soname bumps when they are not backwards compatible. A simple pacman -Syu to a properly synced mirror will fix the problem as long as pacman is not broken.

#7 2018-01-26 17:54:22

lithiumx

B1omman wrote:
lithiumx wrote:

wiki wrote:

If a partial upgrade scenario has been created, and binaries are broken because they cannot find the libraries they are linked against, do not "fix" the problem simply by symlinking. Libraries receive soname bumps when they are not backwards compatible. A simple pacman -Syu to a properly synced mirror will fix the problem as long as pacman is not broken.

Oh, thank you, I didn't notice that. I'm so stupid. I'm updating it now, thank you a lot. If it works, I'll mark the thread as solved.

Board footer