You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-03 10:06:28

jovaska

Some Nautilus functionality only available for root...

I've just noticed this strange issue on my new arch installation. Nautilus won't show mounted devices on the sidebar or the top-right menu for regular users but they show up when running as root. I'm not sure whether this is a bug, a feature or a permissions issue, but the latter seems more likely. I have no idea how to go about solving this. I'm running Nautilus 3.26.2-3, GNOME 3.26.2 and kernel 4.14.15-1. The left screenshot is of the side menu when running as root and the right one when running as a regular user. (my account belongs to the groups: users, wheel, power, storage)
Running Nautilus as rootRunning Nautilus as a regular user

Last edited by jovaska (2018-02-04 07:53:38)

#2 2018-02-06 10:53:19

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Some Nautilus functionality only available for root...

Welcome to the forums.  I don't use nautilus so I cannot confirm directly, but as no one else is chiming in, I'll note that this behavior makes sense to me.  The only thing you can do with those filesystem icons is unmount them - unless there's also an option to open a partitioning tool on them.  Neither of these are actions that can be done as a regular user, so not displaying those icons at all seems like a good design decision.

Does their absence cause any problems?  Is there something you should be able to do as a regular user in nautilus that is hindered by those icons not being there?

Please also note our forum guidelines: it may be good to replace those images with links (they're certainly not excessive, but are a bit outside the size guidelines).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer