You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-06 13:21:36

Qik000
Banned

Gnome icon positioning on dual-screen setup

How to set gnome to create new icons on right-hand display rahther than left-hand one ?

(Gnome 3, Nvidia Prop.)

#2 2018-02-06 21:25:11

bulletmark

Re: Gnome icon positioning on dual-screen setup

Not sure what you are after but try Settings/Devices/Displays and swap your primary display. Or install the Dash to Dock extension which has such options.

#3 2018-02-11 18:07:52

Qik000
Banned

bulletmark wrote:

Not sure what you are after but try Settings/Devices/Displays and swap your primary display. Or install the Dash to Dock extension which has such options.

I have dash to dock and my primary display is the one on the right hand side. The problem is if i create a new icon on the desktop it will appear on the left monitor.

#4 2018-02-11 21:02:37

bulletmark

Qik000 wrote:

I have dash to dock and my primary display is the one on the right hand side. The problem is if i create a new icon on the desktop it will appear on the left monitor.

The primary display setting is a GNOME setting, nothing to do with dash to dock. I am not sure why GNOME does not always place the icons on the PRIMARY display, seems like a bug to me without looking in to it.

However, you really should reconsider why you want desktop icons at all? GNOME is moving away from providing that option and other desktops have already removed it. The desktop is a very sub-optimal way to manage files/icons compared to a file manager window. Just because we put icons on our desktops in previous decades does not mean it was/is a good idea.

#5 2018-02-11 22:04:50

ooo

I'm also suspecting this is a bug that will never get fixed for the reason mentioned by bulletmark above.

You could try if using nemo for desktop icons worked any better.

bulletmark wrote:

However, you really should reconsider why you want desktop icons at all? GNOME is moving away from providing that option and other desktops have already removed it. The desktop is a very sub-optimal way to manage files/icons compared to a file manager window. Just because we put icons on our desktops in previous decades does not mean it was/is a good idea.

IIRC desktop icons support was removed from nautilus because it was buggy, had not been properly maintained and was hampering further development. Not because someone thought desktop icons was a bad idea (altough gnome had already deprecated desktop icons by default since 3.0).

There's already shell extension on the works for providing desktop icons, which makes more sense than doing it with file manager imho.

#6 2018-02-11 22:34:44

bulletmark

ooo wrote:

IIRC desktop icons support was removed from nautilus because it was buggy, had not been properly maintained and was hampering further development. Not because someone thought desktop icons was a bad idea (altough gnome had already deprecated desktop icons by default since 3.0).

The GNOME devs started depreciating desktop icons since 3.0 because they think it is a bad idea. As you say, because it is depreciated, it hampers further development. Good riddance I say.

#7 2018-02-13 14:08:56

Qik000
Banned

ooo wrote:

I'm also suspecting this is a bug that will never get fixed for the reason mentioned by bulletmark above.

You could try if using nemo for desktop icons worked any better.

bulletmark wrote:

There's already shell extension on the works for providing desktop icons, which makes more sense than doing it with file manager imho.

how to set gnome to use nemo insted of nautilus to do icon stuff ?

Board footer