You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-06 15:26:43

pgoetz

Mate Desktop: newly plugged USB stick goes to switched out user

I've been having this problem for a while, and finally decided to post.  I'm also not sure if this is a Mate problem, or something involving udev.

Very frequently my kid will switch users on my home desktop in order to watch youtube gaming videos.  I think this is relevant; almost always I logged in first, then he, and we both stayed logged in with applications open. What then happens is, while I'm in control of the console; i.e. sitting in front of the machine,  I'll plug in a USB stick to copy files and nothing shows up on my desktop.  The device shows up under Caja, but is locked.  When I switch over to his account I see that the USB stick is being mounted under his permissions; but oddly; not automatically mounted but asking for permissions to mount.

The only way to resolve this is to either log him out or force an unmount of the block device and then remount it by hand from a terminal.  This seems like the kind of long standing gnome2 bug that would still be hanging around in Mate, but I'm curious to know if anyone has any thoughts on this?

Board footer