You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-07 07:56:39

Satas
Member
Registered: 2015-09-02
Posts: 21

[SOLVED] Chrome and Vivaldi browser startup is slow since last update

Hello, I have upgraded recently and have now the 64 Chrome version and 1.14 vivaldi browser versions installed.

However, both of them become very slow in startup since about two weeks now. I first thought that this is a problem with vivaldi itself but it seams that this affects more programs. Now I have no idea which package on my system could be responsible for this problem.

Does someone has an idea?

Last edited by Satas (2018-02-07 13:06:58)

Offline

#2 2018-02-07 07:57:48

Satas
Member
Registered: 2015-09-02
Posts: 21

Re: [SOLVED] Chrome and Vivaldi browser startup is slow since last update

Ths startup of vivaldi was 3 seconds before and is about 30 seconds now. I use plasma KDE as desktop environment.

Offline

#3 2018-02-07 08:01:08

Satas
Member
Registered: 2015-09-02
Posts: 21

Re: [SOLVED] Chrome and Vivaldi browser startup is slow since last update

Oh, now I see an error while starting both apps:

[510:569:0207/085906.060886:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(626)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.Notifications.GetCapabilities: object_path= /org/freedesktop/Notifications: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
[33:77:0207/085907.608409:ERROR:adm_helpers.cc(73)] Failed to query stereo recording.

So this should be the problem core.

Offline

#4 2018-02-07 08:13:22

Satas
Member
Registered: 2015-09-02
Posts: 21

Re: [SOLVED] Chrome and Vivaldi browser startup is slow since last update

Ok, I have found why this happens though I do nt understand why this should be like that. Since a while now (3 weeks or so) I do not have any native services shown in the system tray bar in the panel of my plasma desktop. This is a bug I have reported here:

[link]https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=389297[/link]

Now, when I add a notification widget somewhere (desktop or panel) the startup becomes fast again. So the missing of the notification process (or widget) causes this to happen.

I wonder why this is such a big issue for the software and what will happen on other platforms but anyway this is the solution to my problem.

Offline

#5 2018-02-07 13:03:40

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 12,639

Re: [SOLVED] Chrome and Vivaldi browser startup is slow since last update

It's a dbus timeout, it would seem that chromium tries to communicate with a socket activated dbus service, the server tries to launch it, fails for some reason (suggested process doesn't start or whatever) and after 25 seconds there's a timeout on the bus (it's the default value)

On a general notice, please do not post empty. If there's been no answer, just edit your existing post instead of bumping the thread. Thanks.

Offline

#6 2018-02-07 13:06:41

Satas
Member
Registered: 2015-09-02
Posts: 21

Re: [SOLVED] Chrome and Vivaldi browser startup is slow since last update

Oh, you, I will do it next time. Thanks for the explanations.

Offline

#7 2018-10-31 03:01:17

BSOD
Guest

Re: [SOLVED] Chrome and Vivaldi browser startup is slow since last update

Since I can't find any thread related to my specific problem and since I was also facing slow startups of chrome (stable), I want to share my experiences here.

First off, I reinstalled Arch (Manjaro) and set it up and synchronized my chrome-browser with my account. In between I discovered a problem with samba-shares and stalling file-transfers for little files from the NAS to my PC - this is part of the problem. Some years ago I wrote my own Chrome-Extension which isn't released yet in Chrome-Webstore, so I've had to load it as unpacked extension. The folder including the extension is a - surprise surprise - symbolic folder link to my NAS-drive.

I searched like all related google-entries I could find on this topic, fiddled around with my gnome-keyring-daemon and such and nothing helped. I reinstalled chrome only to encounter it starts working normally again and the startup doesn't takes 30s. I found a flag to start chrome without extensions which also didn help and I expected the extensions to be okay. Then I installed chrome-beta and finally found out my symbolic-linked extension-folder was the problem, since I didn't installed my custom extension right from the start.

I also found out that only disabling the extensions doesn't solve this specific problem, since chrome still loads some information from the extensions manifest.json. A user (I can't remember the thread) suggested to delete the extension-folders one by one from ~/.config/google-chrome/default/extensions which also didn't worked for me - "obviously", because unpacked extensions aren't stored there. But the worst problem of all was, that I couldn't find any way to debug what was blocking the startup.

So for anyone with similiar setup and who is banging his head on the table -> store your extension locally.

#8 2018-10-31 03:09:11

circleface
Member
Registered: 2012-05-26
Posts: 638

Re: [SOLVED] Chrome and Vivaldi browser startup is slow since last update

Please do not necrobump old threads.  Also, Manjaro is not arch and is not supported here.

Offline

#9 2018-10-31 03:55:50

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 28,040
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Chrome and Vivaldi browser startup is slow since last update

Closing.


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB