You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-09 20:43:43

iambrj

GRUB blocklists error

I wanted to install Arch onto a USB flash drive. So I partitioned the USB (/dev/sdb) intp /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2. Installed the base group using pacstrap onto /dev/sdb2. When I finally went to install grub following this article https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … on_methods, I get

grub-install: warning: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple parition lables. This is not supported yet..

grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed on this setup by using blocklists. However, blcoklists are UNRELIABLE and the use is discouraged..

grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists

What did I do wrong? How can I fix this without having to start over?

Less is more

#2 2018-02-10 00:45:06

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Re: GRUB blocklists error

Please post the exact command you used to install GRUB.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#3 2018-02-11 15:13:51

mxfm

grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed on this setup by using blocklists. However, blcoklists are UNRELIABLE and the use is discouraged..

You need to tell how you installed grub. Apart from this, if I remember correctly this error message is produced when grub is installed as 'i386-pc' platform without creating special 'bios_grub' partition (code EF02 in gptfdisk). This looks plausible because the wiki you gave a link does not mention creation of such partition.

#4 2018-02-15 08:50:48

Elizine
Website

Apparently Grub will not install to a partition unless you force it to:

sudo grub-install --target=i386-pc --force /dev/sda7

Board footer