You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-23 03:08:38

ben017f

Python IDE without X...?

Hi all,
After a long absence (and a defection back to kubuntu on my main laptop :shock: ) I'm now installing arch back onto one of my old laptops to use as a webserver and general hacking/abuse box. I'm also running Kubuntu on VMware on my work (read windows) laptop, which I need to change cos the performance sucks!

So in general my requirements are:

For the old laptop:

Lightweight WM... maybe fluxbox as I have some familiarity with it, but hoping I won't have to use it too much

Text mode IDE for writing python... probably gonna be vi or emacs but not too familiar with either of these at present. I'll be using python mainly to play with plone so I'm gonna need some pretty good debugging and an easy/fast way to edit-run-edit.

Anything else that might coming handy  big_smile

For the VM:

Light-ishweight WM... will be using this more than the laptop.

Anyother thing useful  tongue

I've read a few posts here and in a couple of other places, but thought I'd start another one, especially for the sake of the VM side of things if anyone is using Arch for a similar purpose![/list]

The map is not the territory

#2 2006-07-23 03:22:08

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Python IDE without X...?

I'd say vim for python development. Emacs is great if you like lisp. Only if you like lisp. IMHO.

I'd recommend pekwm for the VMware window manager. I've never used VMWare, but pek is light and flexible.

Cheers,

Dusty

#3 2006-07-23 03:29:58

skottish
Forum Fellow

You may want to look at this:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PythonMode

#4 2006-07-23 03:43:38

ben017f

Thanks guys, I already came across pythonmode for emacs, and I'm playing with it at the moment. I'd definately like to know more about vim and python tho..? Is there code completion and an integrated means to run your python code dusty?

The map is not the territory

#5 2006-07-23 05:11:29

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

phrakture is the guy to answer vim-related questions, I don't use it professionally. Vim 7 does have code completion, and phrakture wrote a python plugin for it. I don't know much about integration, but I suspect it can be done, it can be done with most languages.

Dusty

#6 2006-07-23 11:06:46

postlogic
Website

The python completion plugin is available from www.vim.org. It's constantly updated and works very nice. To use autocomp, ^x, ^O is the bindings.

#7 2006-07-24 14:43:44

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

postlogic wrote:

The python completion plugin is available from www.vim.org. It's constantly updated and works very nice. To use autocomp, ^x, ^O is the bindings.

It's part of the official distribution as well, but there is an additional version beyond the one in the vim7 package.  At some point I want to add move vim-doo plugins to extra, and pythoncomplete will be one of those (for obvious reasons).

Board footer