You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-12 17:39:40

koreankiwitea

is there any way to have evolution/thunderbird run in the background?

Hi!

I'm loving Arch so far, set up everything as i want to and it's amazing.

The only thing left for me to do right now is to set up email and calendar.

Thunderbird refuses to sync calendars for some reason, so i gave evolution a shot and voila! everything works.

However, (also the case for thunderbird as well) when I close the application, I can't get email notification anymore.

Is there a way to have it run in the background so it can fetch emails, while not cluttering desktop space?

Thank you!

very n00b.

#2 2018-02-12 18:11:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: is there any way to have evolution/thunderbird run in the background?

My suggestion would be to separate your mail client from mail retreival: you can use isnc/mbsync which will run nicely in the background on a timer retrieving any new mail.  Then just use thunderbird or evolution to *read* your mail whenever you want to.  This will also make your mail client start up much faster.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-02-12 18:18:53

timourf

Welcome to the community!

When you say desktop space, would running it on a different workspace be an acceptable solution?
Otherwise, this sounds like a feature of the particular program you're running. I believe there are extensions for both evolution and thunderbird that allow it to run in the system tray, but I haven't tested them myself. Without knowing what desktop environment or window manager you use, it's hard to give a general solution. Some, like i3wm, have a hidden "scratchpad" workspace that you can send programs to. I recommend you look through the documentation for whichever you have chosen to see if one exists.

#4 2018-02-12 19:48:20

red-lichtie

Although I don't use Evolution I found this: "In order to also be notified of new messages in the GNOME Notification area at the bottom of the screen, make sure that Edit ▸ Plugins ▸ Mail Notification is enabled and that you have set your preferred options in the Configuration tab."

See: https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/ … on.html.en

Doing it the Linux way since 1997 and Arch way since 2015 (and loving it!)
Platforms: Intel, ARMv6 (Raspberry Pi), ARMv7 (BeagleBone Black), ARMv8 (Raspberry Pi)
Languages: C, C++, ASM, Pascal & Java

#5 2018-02-12 20:05:49

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Have you tried firetray with thunderbird?

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#6 2018-02-12 20:34:45

koreankiwitea

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your help. I'm running GNOME desktop environment at the moment. I found it absolutely beautiful. Perhaps not as straightforward as KDE, but one thing that I learned about linux past couple of days is if something isn't working or as straightforward as other thing, it's because i don't know very much...

With that said, i have enabled the configurations within the application, the isnc/mbsync option i will have to take my time to read through the wiki.
I'm yet to try firetray, but I'll look it up and give it a go.

Thank you!

edit: also, is 'gnome' pronounced 'geh-nome' or 'NO-mm' or 'GOmm'?

Last edited by koreankiwitea (2018-02-12 20:35:51)

very n00b.

#7 2018-02-12 21:50:09

drcouzelis
Website

koreankiwitea wrote:

is 'gnome' pronounced 'geh-nome' or 'NO-mm' or 'GOmm'?

"geh-nome", like "geh-nu" (GNU). smile

Board footer