You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-19 12:51:55

Majzlik

Stuck or crash during play of multimedia files [SOLVED]

Hi,
I received my backup PC for my laptop so I can go on with my diploma thesis. When I installed Arch Linux distribution, I experience getting stuck for a split of second during play of music. I tried different music players - VLC, Deadbeef, Spotify. It happens even when I watch video, my mplayer crashed completely after few minutes. Checked dmesg but didn't find anything.
Don't you know where should I look for more information or what could be wrong?
That PC is old, it consists of NUC processor Intel Celeron 1017U so I think it might be it but don't know whether I can solve it.

Last edited by Majzlik (2018-02-19 17:03:56)

#2 2018-02-19 16:26:47

berbae

Re: Stuck or crash during play of multimedia files [SOLVED]

Hello,
You can build a conky configuration to visualize how your system is used: cpu usage, memory usage, disk usage, swap usage, temperature, and so on.
Try to make conky always visible to see continuously what is going on.
It will be easier to determine if your PC needs more resources to work smoothly.
See https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky

#3 2018-02-19 17:03:19

Majzlik

Re: Stuck or crash during play of multimedia files [SOLVED]

I use conky regularly. Resources are OK. CPU usage around 20 - 30 % in work, 1.75 GB out of 4 GB memory usage and these players are consuming at most 5 % of CPU and almost no memory. However your advice worked! I haven't noticed that wpa_supplicant process sometimes appears just for that split of second with 10 % CPU usage and disappears immediately, so I turned off WiFi (didn't even know this prehistoric PC got WiFi...) and it seems everything is fine now. Thanks a lot!

Board footer