You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-21 21:22:46

barronmo

Can't uninstall java [SOLVED]

One of the program I use regularly stopped working several days ago, so I called tech support.  They said I need to uninstall Java and reinstall Java 8 update 161. 

[mb@archlinux ~]$ archlinux-java status
Available Java environments:
  java-7-openjdk (default)
  java-8-openjdk/jre

So I updated my system without problem and attempted to remove the listed packages.

sudo pacman -R jre7-openjdk
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: jdk7-openjdk: removing jre7-openjdk breaks dependency 'jre7-openjdk=7.u151_2.6.11-1'

and

sudo pacman -R jre8-openjdk
checking dependencies...
:: libreoffice-fresh optionally requires java-runtime: adds java support

Packages (1) jre8-openjdk-8.u144-1

Total Removed Size:  0.39 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] y
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) removing jre8-openjdk                                                                   [######################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

Recheck

archlinux-java status
Available Java environments:
  java-7-openjdk (default)
  java-8-openjdk/jre

I'm not sure why jre8 is still showing up.  And I need some help dealing with the jre7-openjdk=7.u151_2.6.11-1 dependency.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by barronmo (2018-02-22 21:28:10)

#2 2018-02-21 21:27:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Can't uninstall java [SOLVED]

jre != jdk.  Those are different packages.  If you need to remove jre7-openjdk you'll also need to remove jdk7-openjdk (or skip dependency checks, though that would defeat the present purpose).

However, the "tech support" advice you got was almost certainly crap.  They just wanted to get rid of you ("have you tried turning it off and on again").  Uninstalling and reinstalling will do nothing to help the situation, and if it would, reinstalling alone would be sufficient (e.g. just use `pacman -S jre7-openjdk`).

Now there are several proprietary java tools that will only run with oracle's official java (from the AUR), and sometimes only with specific versions of it.  For a current project, I need to use BlackBoard Collaborate.  It took a while to troubleshoot, but that only runs with oracle's jre8 from the aur (none of the openjdk packages worked, no other version of oracle's jre worked).

So in short, if you want help with the actual problem, show us the errors you get in attempting to run your java program.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-02-21 22:48:45

seth

You don't need to uninstall at all; you can install jre 7/8/9 next to each other and select which one to use.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ja … etween_JVM

"Update 161" means "latest oracle java version", https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/jre8/ and most likely means that Trilby is right about the tech support. I assume Java8 will do, but is presently not used (7 is the configured default) - see the link I posted on how to try Java8 w/ the program.

#4 2018-02-22 21:27:42

barronmo

You are correct about the uninstall advice.  I reinstalled jre8 (I don't have a need for jdk).  The program I mentioned is a web based fax service called Updox.  Their java desktop occasionally overwrites my ~/.updox folder which removed a bug fix from several years ago.  Updox uses Chromium for the desktop but the link to open it points to the wrong place on my system, so running the following fixed the problem:

cd ~/.updox/chrome
mv chrome chrome_old
ln -s /usr/bin/chromium chrome

Thanks for the help.

Board footer