You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-24 12:11:41

lance4284

[SOLVED] authentication is required to mount disk /dev/sda2

What I went through:
I've been using gdm and gnome for quite a long time, but I couldn't login to gnome desktop since yesterday's system rolling update with command 'sudo pacman -Syu'. Then I tried a lot of ways, including rolling back the whole system to a specific time in the past, but it didn't help. So I was thinking - the problem might be with gnome. Then I tried to change a new desktop environment. Deepin desktop was my choice. I also changed gdm into lightdm. Now I can login the deepin desktop normally.

Below is the main issue:
However, everytime I login, there's a prompt 'authentication is required to mount disk /dev/sda2', asking me to enter root password. Now please let me introduce my partition: /dev/sda is a 110GB ssd, parted into sda1(40GB) for arch linux and sda2(70GB) for windows 10. When I was in gnome desktop, everything worked fine. And in gnome system information it showed 'disk: 40GB', which was expected. However, now deepin system information shows 'disk: 110GB'. So I'm thinking whether there is a problem in here.

Is there any method to solve the issue? Thank you in advance.

Below is related info:

[lance@arch ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>                                                          <dir>                           <type>    <options>                                    <dump>    <pass>
# /dev/sda1
UUID=e513af3d-403d-51c3-5123-2645ca63fe67    /                             ext4          rw,relatime,data=ordered             0              1

# /dev/sdb1 efi system partition
UUID=142D-3E15                                                      /boot/EFI                      vfat        rw,auto,defaults                         0              1

# swap partition
UUID=1e3c5db9-a701-4902-bad3-0d10e4dc61a1    none                        swap       defaults                                          0              0

[lance@arch ~]$ lsblk -f
NAME   FSTYPE              LABEL                           UUID                                                                      MOUNTPOINT
sda                                                                   
├─sda1 ext4                                                        e513af3d-403d-51c3-5123-2645ca63fe67          /
└─sda2 ntfs                   Microsoft Windows     FC5C23A22D4655CC                                             /run/media/lance/Microsoft Windows
sdb                                                                   
├─sdb1 vfat                   ϵͳ\xb1\xa3\xc1\xf4    142D-3E15                                                              /boot/EFI
├─sdb2                                                               
├─sdb3 ntfs                   Data                             00C4D426C4D44C92                                             /run/media/lance/Data
└─sdb4 swap                                                     1e3c5db9-a701-4902-bad3-0d10e4dc61a1         [SWAP]

As for `cat /var/log/pacman.log`, it's nearly 2000 lines. I'll post it here if it's needed. Thank you so much.

Last edited by lance4284 (2018-02-25 16:30:15)

#2 2018-02-24 13:46:57

brainfucksec
Website

Re: [SOLVED] authentication is required to mount disk /dev/sda2

Do you have read the wiky about this? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Du … th_Windows

The recommended way to setup a Linux/Windows dual booting system is to first install Windows, only using part of the disk for its partitions. When you have finished the Windows setup, boot into the Linux install environment where you can create additional partitions for Linux while leaving the existing Windows partitions untouched

Check your partition scheme

--= [ |<!55 ]=--

#3 2018-02-24 16:02:24

robg

First, taking up on brainfucksec's linked wiki page, have you disabled fastboot in Windows? Has there been a recent Windows update? Also, please post the outputs of the following commands: `lsblk -f`, `cat /etc/fstab`, `cat /var/log/pacman.log`.

#4 2018-02-25 02:29:35

lance4284

brainfucksec wrote:

Do you have read the wiky about this? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Du … th_Windows

The recommended way to setup a Linux/Windows dual booting system is to first install Windows, only using part of the disk for its partitions. When you have finished the Windows setup, boot into the Linux install environment where you can create additional partitions for Linux while leaving the existing Windows partitions untouched

Check your partition scheme

Hello and thanks, brainfucksec. I'm not quite sure if I installed windows first or linux(maybe windows), but I've been using my arch linux for 1 year or so, and no problem occurred during bootup or anywhere. So I guess I installed it properly. Also, I've added partition infomation in my question.

#5 2018-02-25 02:33:00

lance4284

robg wrote:

First, taking up on brainfucksec's linked wiki page, have you disabled fastboot in Windows? Has there been a recent Windows update? Also, please post the outputs of the following commands: `lsblk -f`, `cat /etc/fstab`, `cat /var/log/pacman.log`.

Hello robg, I'm sure I disabled fastboot in windows and no windows update was active. I've posted `lsblk -f`, `cat /etc/fstab`. Is pacman.log necessary to post? It's too long.

Thank you.

#6 2018-02-25 02:49:36

progandy

That looks as if udisks2 tries to mount a partition it shouldn't. Maybe it will help to hide the windows partition from udisks2:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ud … partitions

Edit: Please use code tags in the future. For long logs, you can use a pastebin (not pastebin.com)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … s_and_code

Last edited by progandy (2018-02-25 02:52:42)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#7 2018-02-25 04:21:46

lance4284

progandy wrote:

That looks as if udisks2 tries to mount a partition it shouldn't. Maybe it will help to hide the windows partition from udisks2:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ud … partitions

Edit: Please use code tags in the future. For long logs, you can use a pastebin (not pastebin.com)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … s_and_code

Thank you a lot!!!

I followed the Udisks Wiki page. Created a file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules and put the following code in it.(Also thanks for the advice of using pastebin)

KERNEL=="sda2", ENV{UDISKS_IGNORE}="1"
KERNEL=="sdb3", ENV{UDISKS_IGNORE}="1"

Then I rebooted, The annoying message is gone now.

However, a tiny problem. Before creating /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules, sda2 and sdb3 were shown in deepin file manager left bar, thus I could simply click it to mount it, but now they disappeared. Is there any way to show them in it?

#8 2018-02-25 10:50:53

progandy

That is expected, since the partitions are now hidden from udisks and everything that depends on it. Maybe setting UDISKS_AUTO=0 instead of ignore will work. I don't know how deepin implements automounting, so that may be ineffective.
http://storaged.org/doc/udisks2-api/lat … sks.8.html

#9 2018-02-25 15:59:02

lance4284

progandy wrote:

That is expected, since the partitions are now hidden from udisks and everything that depends on it. Maybe setting UDISKS_AUTO=0 instead of ignore will work. I don't know how deepin implements automounting, so that may be ineffective.
http://storaged.org/doc/udisks2-api/lat … sks.8.html

May I ask how to set UDISKS_AUTO=0? I checked the link offered but not quite sure what to do. Should I just delete all the content in  `/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules` then put UDISKS_AUTO=0 in it?

#10 2018-02-25 16:27:56

lance4284

I solved the question at last. It's really tricky, not really a technical problem at all. It's all about deepin file manager(starting up with deepin desktop by default).
Here is what I did:
       open deepin file manager
       click settings
       go to `Mount` tab
       deselect `Auto mount`
I don't understand why there is an auto mount function. There's no such function in gnome nautilus.

Thank you a lot for all your help.

Last edited by lance4284 (2018-02-25 16:28:41)

#11 2018-02-25 21:43:20

progandy

The automount function is there to automatically mount usb drives and cd/dvd/bd discs, and I think gnome has that as well. I have no idea why deepin chooses to automount internal hard disks as well.

As for the udisks option:

KERNEL=="sda2", ENV{UDISKS_AUTO}="0"

Last edited by progandy (2018-02-25 21:44:08)

#12 2018-02-26 02:43:45

lance4284

progandy wrote:

The automount function is there to automatically mount usb drives and cd/dvd/bd discs, and I think gnome has that as well. I have no idea why deepin chooses to automount internal hard disks as well.

As for the udisks option:

KERNEL=="sda2", ENV{UDISKS_AUTO}="0"

I see. Now I've learned a lot about `mount` and `udisk` from your advice.  smile
Hopefully the deepin desktop would work well for a long time. I find it not bad for the time being.

Board footer