You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-28 17:59:31

ayekat
Website

remakepkg — rebuild pacman packages with changes

Introducing repkg and remakepkg, tools for applying changes to pacman package (.pkg.tar.xz) files.

Description
  • repkg can modify metadata (add/remove hard/optional dependencies, provisions, conflicts, replacements, backup files and groups; change the URL and the architecture), create/rename/delete files, change file permissions, and patch text files.

• remakepkg is a script that wraps around repkg, since the invocation is a bit cumbersome (see below).

It has been written for people who would like to modify official Arch Linux packages without having to adopt the full-blown package maintenance work (maintaining a PKGBUILD, compiling software, getting frustrated by not being able to sanely keep track of reported issues on bugs.archlinux.org, ...).

Usage: repkg

repkg is the script that does the heavy lifting. It takes a rules file (that contains operations to be applied to a package) and applies it to a package file, producing a new, "repkg'd" package file. Here is an example rules file that adds the dependency `foo` and removes the optional dependency `bar`:

add-depend foo
remove-optdepend bar

To apply these changes to a package, we can invoke repkg as follows:

$ repkg -i /path/to/foobar-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz -r /path/to/rulesfile

This will generate a new package file in the current working directory, and we may run e.g. `pacman -Qpi` on it to inspect it. Note that repkg will error out if either `foo` is already a dependency, or `bar` is not an optional dependency.

All available rules/commands are described in the COMMANDS section in repkg(1).

... but let's admit it, using repkg directly like this is cumbersome; we'd have to download the package file and run repkg with all the command line options. So...

Usage: remakepkg

remakepkg uses a file called REPKGBUILD. A REPKGBUILD file is more or less a rules file, but with an additional meta-info (the name of the package we'd like to repkg). Here is a (more real-life) example PKGBUILD file that fixes some open bugs in the pass package:

# This declares that the rules in this REPKGBUILD file apply to community/pass
# (remakepkg requires this to know which package to download from a mirror):
repkg community/pass

# These rules turn xclip into an optional dependency (FS#55059):
remove-depend xclip
add-optdepend xclip: for X clipboard usage

# These rules add a missing optional dependency (FS#55504):
add-optdepend xdotool: for passmenu

To create a repkg'd package file with this REPKGBUILD, we can simply invoke (in the same directory as the REPKGBUILD file):

$ remakepkg

remakepkg uses the first rule (`repkg ...`) to know which package to repkg. It then downloads it from the package mirror, generates a rules file from the remaining lines, and invokes repkg.

Rationale

Although it was initially written to just fix ignored/rejected packaging bugs, it has turned out to be useful for doing other stuff as well (such as having dash provide /bin/sh instead of bash, or letting pacman optionally depend on a base-devel metapackage, ...).

However, repkg/remakepkg is not a replacement for maintaining a proper PKGBUILD if your goal is to rebuild binaries with alternative compile flags. It is mainly here for fixing package metadata.

To get an idea, the full list of REPKGBUILDs I currently use can be found here.

For a more subjective comment from my side, I have followed the commonly given advice to "get a blog", and it can be read here.

Installation

repkg and remakepkg are part of the pacman-hacks project, a small collection of mediocre little scripts of mine. There is a PKGBUILD available here to build an installable package with all the scripts and man pages from the latest stable release of pacman-hacks.

If you don't want the full load of mediocre ayekat-scripts, there is also remakepkg in the AUR; it only installs remakepkg + the scripts it requires.

Limitations/Bugs

See the list of open issues for repkg and remakepkg, and feel free to add bug reports and feature requests.

Last edited by ayekat (2019-03-14 14:59:09)

#2 2018-03-10 12:48:52

ayekat
Website

Re: remakepkg — rebuild pacman packages with changes

I have added a wrapper script for repkg called remakepkg (which uses REPKGBUILD files (you see what I did there tongue)), so I have updated the post above.

Last edited by ayekat (2018-09-18 22:21:37)

#3 2018-04-07 15:44:25

Stefan Husmann

I did not have a closer look at your scripts, but do you know the customizepkg flavours in AUR?

#4 2018-04-08 09:31:13

ayekat
Website

Hey, thanks for the reply!

If I understood customizepkg correctly, it is not quite the same thing. But it does seem to tackle a limitation in makepkg/PKGBUILDs that I have also encountered: there is no elegant way of maintaining custom changes (like custom compilation flags) to PKGBUILDs; one cannot load in a "snippet" or use some sort of "overlay"¹, so customizepkg appears to provide that functionality. It does require you to build/compile the whole package, though.

My goal here is a different one: I only want to modify the packages' metadata (check the list of packages I currently "maintain" through REPKGBUILDs). Given that the metadata can be modified in the built package, I can avoid rebuilding it entirely (it's basically as if I had already built a package with makepkg, then I tweak the PKGBUILD and run `makepkg --repackage`).

I guess if at some point I'm interested in using packages with custom compile flags, something like customizepkg would be a viable option. But I'm not sure if I might not just as well start using something like Gentoo at that point smile

____
¹ Not the "overlay" in Gentoo parlance.

Last edited by ayekat (2018-04-08 09:35:15)

#5 2018-04-08 15:55:54

Lone_Wolf

Interesting.

Could this be used to remove systemd dependency (or make it an optdep) from mkinitcpio ?

( without systemd majority of mkinitcpio still works, just some systemd-specific functionality doesn't work )

Multi-init booting with apg Openrc and systemd coexisting
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

#6 2018-04-08 18:07:28

eschwartz
Trusted User/Bug Wrangler

If mkinitcpio does not need systemd, have you considered filing a bugreport asking for it to be removed from the dependencies???

(ISTR other distros used it actually, so that makes sense I guess. It doesn't seem to explicitly invoke it ever, except for sd-shutdown/sd-vconsole.)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#7 2018-04-08 18:43:52

ayekat
Website

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Could this be used to remove systemd dependency (or make it an optdep) from mkinitcpio ?

REPKGBUILD:

repkg core/mkinitcpio
remove-depend systemd
add-optdepend systemd: for building initcpio with systemd

Output:

$ remakepkg
>>> Parsing REPKGBUILD
>>> Recreating package for core/mkinitcpio
>>> Downloading package file from mirror
>>> Downloading package from http://pkg.adfinis-sygroup.ch/archlinux/core/os/x86_64/mkinitcpio-24-2-any.pkg.tar.xz
>>> Downloading signature from http://pkg.adfinis-sygroup.ch/archlinux/core/os/x86_64/mkinitcpio-24-2-any.pkg.tar.xz.sig
==> Checking mkinitcpio-24-2-any.pkg.tar.xz.sig...
gpg: assuming signed data in 'mkinitcpio-24-2-any.pkg.tar.xz'
gpg: Signature made Fri 06 Oct 2017 21:29:55 CEST
gpg:                using RSA key 487EACC08557AD082088DABA1EB2638FF56C0C53
gpg: Note: trustdb not writable
gpg: Good signature from "Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com>" [full]
gpg:                 aka "Dave Reisner <dreisner@archlinux.org>" [full]
>>> Remaking package
>>> Detected package mkinitcpio
>>> Removing dependency systemd
>>> Adding optional dependency systemd (for building initcpio with systemd)
>>> Generating new package file /home/ayekat/tmp/mkinitcpio-24-2-any.pkg.tar.xz
>>> Successfully created /home/ayekat/tmp/mkinitcpio-24-2-any.pkg.tar.xz
$ pacman -Qpi mkinitcpio-24-2-any.pkg.tar.xz 
Name            : mkinitcpio
Version         : 24-2
Description     : Modular initramfs image creation utility
Architecture    : any
URL             : https://projects.archlinux.org/mkinitcpio.git/
Licenses        : GPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : awk  mkinitcpio-busybox>=1.19.4-2  kmod  util-linux>=2.23  libarchive
                  coreutils  bash  findutils  grep  filesystem>=2011.10-1  gzip
Optional Deps   : xz: Use lzma or xz compression for the initramfs image
                  bzip2: Use bzip2 compression for the initramfs image
                  lzop: Use lzo compression for the initramfs image
                  lz4: Use lz4 compression for the initramfs image
                  mkinitcpio-nfs-utils: Support for root filesystem on NFS
                  systemd: for building initcpio with systemd
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Compressed Size : 40.63 KiB
Installed Size  : 214.00 KiB
Packager        : Tinu Weber <http://ayekat.ch>
Build Date      : Sun 08 Apr 2018 20:38:08 CEST
Install Script  : Yes
Validated By    : None
Signatures      : None

#8 2018-04-10 10:55:12

Lone_Wolf

Thank you, ayekat. That clearly shows how your tool works.
I won't be using that particular change, but it gives a template for some changes I do have in mind.

ESchwartz :
When mkinitcpio gained systemd as a dependency, obarun / systemd-free.org started building their own mkinitcpio version.
I looked into the changes, found it still worked fine if systemd was installed but not booted.

I did have the impression systemd was a valid makedepence.
What is needed at runtime depends on which mkinitcpio hooks are used.
udev, usr, resume, mdadm_udev and the 3 sd-* hooks require systemd support , the others don't.

In my opinion that makes systemd a makedepend and an optional depend.
Whether that's a bug is debatable, and stock mkinitcpio works fine on my multi-init systems.
As those that I knew created their own mkinitcpio binary packages did refuse to have systemd installed at all, I saw no benefit in bringing this up and filing a bug report.

Multi-init booting with apg Openrc and systemd coexisting
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

#9 2018-09-12 13:39:45

ayekat
Website

In case anyone is interested (and crazy enough) to try it out, I was so free to add a PKGBUILD for remakepkg/repkg to the AUR: aur/remakepkg.

Some things have also changed since I last commented here; the provided changelog should cover them, though.

Last edited by ayekat (2018-09-18 22:23:15)

Board footer