You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-03 10:32:42

mouni

Archlinux language

What language ArchLinux is programmed? Where can I get a complete book of ArchLinux? I have seen many books on UBuntu, Debian, Red Hat, but about Arch I don't see anything.

"See, you not only have to be a good coder to create a system like Linux, you have to be a sneaky bastard too." - Linus Torvalds

#2 2018-03-03 11:01:36

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Archlinux language

mouni wrote:

What language ArchLinux is programmed?

What part are you asking about?

#3 2018-03-03 11:09:07

null

There is no single language that is used in every AL project. Also AL is not a single piece of software but a collection (in the linux world it's called distribution) of software written by thousands of people around the world. Very important to AL, but in no means unique to AL is the package manager pacman which is written in C. Most projects that originated from the AL devs can be found there: https://git.archlinux.org/

While I can understand the urge to buy a book about your favorite Linux distribution, I find most books about any distribution utterly redundant (maybe except LFS). 90% of most Linux distributions is just the same software (maybe in different versions). The only thing really different and important is the init system (most, including AL, use systemd nowadays as default), the package manager and its eco system (pacman, makepkg, ... in AL) and maybe some software configuration system (non existing in AL; i.e. Debian has debconf). So what of those parts do you need a book for? Hint: the AL wiki is a very good source of information and there is also a man page collection and Android APP available for it!

Last edited by null (2018-03-03 11:10:10)

#4 2018-03-03 12:16:31

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

I think Dusty sold a couple of Archlinux books (might have been comprised of parts of the Arch Wiki), but I don't think he's selling merch any more.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2018-03-03 12:39:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

null wrote:

... the package manager pacman which is written in C.

Sure the pacman binary itself is written in C, but that'd not be the case if you include the associated tools in the pacman package:

$ cloc *
     780 text files.
     744 unique files.
     176 files ignored.

github.com/AlDanial/cloc v 1.74  T=2.94 s (205.8 files/s, 97151.3 lines/s)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Language                     files          blank        comment           code
PO File                        125          37528          41571         111633
Bourne Shell                    23           4727           5142          29586
C                               53           3426           4313          20748
m4                              18           1177            400          11846
Python                         329           1823            417           5603
C/C++ Header                    36            515           1670           1643
make                            13            139             39            698
vim script                       1             65             49            206
Protocol Buffers                 3             27              0            180
sed                              2              0              0             16
CSS                              1              1              0              6
SUM:                           604          49428          53601         182165

Some of this is just translations or build system, but no matter how you slice it, I'm pretty sure there's more bash code than C code in the pacman package.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2018-03-03 12:56:34

null

That was only meant to be an example of a single tool which is written in a specific language. I've never talked about packages in my post, but about pacman as a project of AL which is written in C. That's the reason why I wrote later about "package manager and its eco system (pacman, makepkg, ... in AL)", as I wouldn't call the associated tools "the package manager"..

#7 2018-03-03 16:22:13

mouni

Thanks all, I learn with all of you. What you adive me null? what writer/book you advise me to teach how to understand 100% from to beginning to the hardcore part of linux? About the programming part, I asked because I am starting programming in Python and I am loving its simplicity, simple and beautiful, which combines perfectly with the philosophy of Arch. Trilby, nice info, thanks,

Last edited by mouni (2018-03-03 16:23:30)

"See, you not only have to be a good coder to create a system like Linux, you have to be a sneaky bastard too." - Linus Torvalds

#8 2018-03-03 18:07:48

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

mouni wrote:

what writer/book you advise me to teach how to understand 100% from to beginning to the hardcore part of linux?

Is this a joke?  This has to be trolling.

We may or may not be able to give good recommendations of where to *start*, but if you think you can read one book and go from complete novice to expert, then you haven't the slightest clue what you are getting in to.

I'd say *start* here:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

Last edited by Trilby (2018-03-03 18:08:27)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2018-03-03 20:23:17

mouni

Trilby : You're not going to believe what I'm about to tell you, but that's exactly what I was thinking. I started reading on the internet that ArchLinux is hard, and I read a tutorial on the net and installed in the most facilities, then I put the system with sound, graphics environment, install packages through the Pacman and AUR, and now? Is that it? People said that using Arch is the same thing as dominating the world of Linux, but still ignorant here. But I want to learn about the entire system, so my question comes up a little bit basic to my needs. Reading the Wiki doesn't do me any good, I need an index to know where starts and ends things. I thought of a book because there is an index.

#10 2018-03-03 20:28:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

mouni wrote:

I started reading on the internet that ArchLinux is hard

Hard is subjective, and more importantly ill-defined in this context.  Arch is easy to install if you simply follow step by step instructions.

mouni wrote:

People said that using Arch is the same thing as dominating the world of Linux

People say a lot of stupid crap.  The people who said that are imbiciles.  If you want to become proficient in linux/unix, avoid such people at all costs.

mouni wrote:

But I want to learn about the entire system

This is a good thing.  But there is no shortcut to experience.  Tinker, experiment, explore.  I now do believe my previous link really is the right thing for you to start with.  An excerpt:

ESR wrote:

I can't give complete instructions on how to learn to program here — it's a complex skill. But I can tell you that books and courses won't do it — many, maybe most of the best hackers are self-taught. You can learn language features — bits of knowledge — from books, but the mind-set that makes that knowledge into living skill can be learned only by practice and apprenticeship. What will do it is (a) reading code and (b) writing code.

This isn't to discourage reading.  Read books.  Lots of them.  But take them all with a very large grain of salt.  Generations ago books were written to dispense knowledge; today books are written to collect wealth.  Read older books.

Last edited by Trilby (2018-03-03 20:34:53)

#11 2018-03-03 20:31:19

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

That does sound troll-ish, but giving you the benefit of doubt....

mouni wrote:

Trilby : You're not going to believe what I'm about to tell you, but that's exactly what I was thinking. I started reading on the internet that ArchLinux is hard, and I read a tutorial on the net and installed in the most facilities, then I put the system with sound, graphics environment, install packages through the Pacman and AUR, and now? Is that it? People said that using Arch is the same thing as dominating the world of Linux, but still ignorant here. But I want to learn about the entire system, so my question comes up a little bit basic to my needs. Reading the Wiki doesn't do me any good, I need an index to know where starts and ends things. I thought of a book because there is an index.

'People' are wrong. End-off. Using Arch Linux has nothing to do with 'dominating the world of Linux' (whatever that even means).

It's a tool, and some (generally younger or less mature) users see the perceived difficulty of the tool as an end-goal in itself. Those users can go enjoy Gentoo or LFS.

I suggest you recaibrate what your intentions are, in very specific terms. What are you trying to accomplish? Because if its to know and understand everything, I've got some pretty bad news for you.....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#12 2018-03-03 20:43:15

lo1

Reading the Wiki doesn't do me any good, I need an index to know where starts and ends things.

I'll put my 2 cents in: maintaining your system stays an absolute priority of course, both for you and for the data you access and store in it.

Reading the Wiki and forgetting about it won't do you any good, but reading e.g. a request for help in the forums, then reading the relevant Wiki/web page, and then comparing it to what does your (healthy?) system looks like is a good start before you even think about writing your first "Hello world" script or even customizing your system in any possible hacky way.
At least, that is what I did since I subscribed to the forums and I can assure you that, while being boring and counterintuitive, this is some kind of a first step you don't want to miss. There's a lot of things that you can learn without actually typing some strings in a terminal and waiting for the magic to happen.

Once you're really confident about what you're using in the first place (and what you can do/misdo) then you can start learning to write some decent code.

This is just my opinion, but if you took the time to install Arch only to learn about coding, you did it wrong: this can be done with any decent OS which has the capability to run a terminal emulator (Windows included).

EDIT: typo in the last phrase, now it should be clear what I meant.

Last edited by lo1 (2018-03-03 23:05:09)

#13 2018-03-03 20:48:27

ugjka
Website

Trial and error ffs. that's how it works. if you don't like that then sod off and use bubuntu

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#14 2018-03-03 23:01:48

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

ugjka wrote:

Trial and error ffs. that's how it works. if you don't like that then sod off and use bubuntu

975 posts on your account and yet I must remind you of simple rules...

Last edited by Alad (2018-03-03 23:06:16)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#15 2018-03-04 06:38:16

ewaller
Administrator

mouni,  Arch is really not that tough.  I can install it almost as fast as I can Debian.  A Linux OS is a lot of things.  A kernel (Linux) and a bunch of user space tools that cover everything from booting, the init system, authentication, session management, maintenance tools, editors, tool chains, device management.  Distributions transcend that by adding GUI's, Shells. Display Managers, Window Managers, Desktop Environments, package managers, user applications, and on and on...

If you really want to get a glimpse under the hood, look at LFS (Linux From Scratch).  But, understand it is a great learning tool, bit is not a practical distribution.  Also, realize it is not an end to a means -- don't just blindly copy and paste commands.  Take the time to fully understand what each and every one of the multitude of commands actually do.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#16 2018-03-04 10:12:39

ugjka
Website

Alad wrote:
ugjka wrote:

975 posts on your account and yet I must remind you of simple rules...

I had some beers

Good boy ugjka wrote:

Trial and error. that's how it works. if you find it challenging than some other distro may be better suited for your needs

Relly when I started using arch I would screw the install up every other week

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#17 2018-03-06 23:32:05

mouni

Thanks all. Very apreciated.

Board footer