You are not logged in.
Hi,
I have freshly installed arch with newest nvidia drivers. I installed also xorg. But when I try to start any graphical app (for example gedit, nvidia-settings or firefox) it shoots
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
and cannot open display :0.0
What is the solve to this? I've searched everywhere and tried many things but all of them failed.
Offline
Are you running as root or something?
Jin, Jîyan, Azadî
Offline
as root with no de
Offline
Hi barcisz, welcome to the forums.
How did you install arch? How did you configure X?
Offline
Don't do that.
Jin, Jîyan, Azadî
Offline
Simple. Don't run X as root. (edit: too slow).
Last edited by Trilby (2018-03-03 23:55:41)
"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman
Offline
I didn't configure xorg, It also happens on normal user and I installed arch with liveusb
Offline
I installed arch with liveusb
I think we're going to need (lots) more detail.
Please also explain how you are starting your graphical desktop.
Jin, Jîyan, Azadî
Offline
I have no graphical desktop, just a bash shell. I installed it as it is written on begginer's guide with grub as a bootloader. Precisely I use Alienware 15r3 laptop.
Offline
I have no graphical desktop, just a bash shell
Try this (as your normal user):
startx /usr/bin/firefoxMost people prefer window managers though ![]()
Jin, Jîyan, Azadî
Offline
It responds startx: command not found. What package does it use?
Last edited by barcisz (2018-03-04 00:07:03)
Offline
# pacman -Fy
pacman -Fs startxJin, Jîyan, Azadî
Offline
wow! it works! but how to make mouse show up on the window? and how to exit xorg :-P
Last edited by barcisz (2018-03-04 00:17:13)
Offline
Jin, Jîyan, Azadî
Offline
thanks so much!
Offline
how to exit xorg
Kill firefox.
EDIT: you're welcome ![]()
Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-03-04 00:18:31)
Jin, Jîyan, Azadî
Offline