You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-06 12:46:08

mawxcarroll

Run a Windows partition in VirtualBox

Hi,

I've got a dual-boot laptop with Windows 10 as the other OS; this setup is working perfectly. I've been trying to run my Windows 10 install in Virtualbox. I've done this in the past, but the other way around (I ran a physical ubuntu install from within windows). Following the standard guides and what I did before results in the "no bootable medium" error -- so I don't have things set up correctly. I just found a wonderful page on the arch wiki.

Except... it's incomplete! Going to section 10: Run a Windows partition in VirtualBox, I can find precisely the instructions that I need. The last three subsections, though, are empty. The instructions tell me "In order to boot the virtual machine in UEFI mode, a dedicated virtual disk for the EFI System Partition must be created" and then give me the command for doing that. The missing subsections deal with how to connect this new virtual disk to the new virtual machine and set up the UEFI stuff.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Cheers,
tom

#2 2018-10-21 09:33:23

jonny999

Re: Run a Windows partition in VirtualBox

Hello,
i have exactly the same situation!

I successfully set up my laptop with Archlinux and Windows as dual boot.
I also set up an independent Windows 10 virtual machine on Archlinux, but i don't want to install every program twice, so it would be extremely useful to be able to virtually boot my windows 10 Partition on linux.

I found the perfect guide:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … VirtualBox
But i am stuck at "Attach virtual disk images to the VM"... because it is incomplete sad

Can anyone help?
Thanks!

#3 2018-10-21 14:33:18

Lone_Wolf

Re: Run a Windows partition in VirtualBox

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=238095 may interest you two.

Below the titles of those 3 empty sections is a note to check the talk section of that page, have you done that ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer