You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-25 15:41:02

AdamskiAirsoft

Installing a boot loader?

(Continued from this thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=23492
Wanted to make a new one because its a different question and may involve different skill sets)

I've got a question, is there anything I can do, or try to do with my computer right now?

I'm currently running off a Live-CD version of Knoppix STD off of my 256mb RAM stick. Would it be possible to install a boot loader from Knoppix? Might that be the reason it doesn't get past the first screen? But does that also explain why I can't access BIOS or Boot options by pressing F2 or F10?

#2 2006-07-25 16:09:27

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Installing a boot loader?

from chroot you could install lilo/grub from knoppix ....

Have you installed Arch or are you going to install Arch?

BIOS well thats down to your system not an Arch/Linux problem

On my system I hit & hold Del to enter BIOS then set first boot device (CDROM)

HTH

Mr Green

#3 2006-07-25 16:56:10

slackhack

Re: Installing a boot loader?

i remember this from the LQ boards. i thought you determined that the hard drive was bad? or possibly that gateway has some sort of proprietary boot sector crap on there that got erased when you installed arch?

you should contact gateway or check out their website to see if that's the case, or if they have any disk diagnostic software, etc. (also check hard drive manufacturer's site). maybe gateway would have some way to restore the special partition (if in fact it had one). or maybe you need to flash the bios -- again check gateway or the motherboard manufacturer.

Board footer