You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-07 20:56:05

lucianh
Member
Registered: 2018-03-07
Posts: 3

Changing libinput trackpad button mappings under GNOME wayland

Hi,

Is there a way to set the ButtonMapping Option for a trackpad when running under GNOME Wayland? From what I can see in the libinput documentation, when running under Wayland the only way to change settings is through whatever GUI tools your desktop environment makes available... which in the case of GNOME is... limited.

I want to disable the middle button entirely so I can get rid of the hateful triple-tap-middle-click behaviour which triggers *all* the time when I'm scrolling, and the only viable way I can see of doing this with libinput is to map the logical button 3 (middle button) to 0 so that all middle clicks are disabled.

I've tried looking at gsettings but that just mirrors what I can already see in the GUI, and gnome-tweak-tool is no help either. Any other options (short of just giving up and running X for the moment)?

I have raised an enhancement bug under gnome-control-centre on the GNOME bugzilla for them to support more of the libinput options as a last resort, but I'm not holding my breath...

Cheers,

Offline

#2 2018-03-10 15:52:10

radiomike
Member
Registered: 2013-12-19
Posts: 36

Re: Changing libinput trackpad button mappings under GNOME wayland

Unfortunately, as you say, you are dependant on what gnome exposes.

Some things you could try are disabling "tap to click" assuming you  have a clickable trackpad. That way you won't get any false taps, however you will need to click the pad rather than just tap it for any other tap. All gestures should still be unchanged.
There is also the option to disable middle-click paste in the mouse settings of gnome-tweak. I think this probably applies to trackpad clicks as well.

From what you've stated, it sounds like a sensitivity issuea around tap detection, so it is probably also worth talking to the libinput guys in case they need to create a better or more specific default profile for your hardware. Especially if it's new or otherwise uncommon. You might also look at running under X to experiment with changes around this.

Offline

#3 2018-03-10 17:04:25

lucianh
Member
Registered: 2018-03-07
Posts: 3

Re: Changing libinput trackpad button mappings under GNOME wayland

radiomike wrote:

Some things you could try are disabling "tap to click" assuming you  have a clickable trackpad. That way you won't get any false taps, however you will need to click the pad rather than just tap it for any other tap. All gestures should still be unchanged.

Yeah, I was really hoping to have tap-to-click, In find it much more convenient, particularly as the right-click zone of my touchpad is annoyingly large.

radiomike wrote:

There is also the option to disable middle-click paste in the mouse settings of gnome-tweak. I think this probably applies to trackpad clicks as well.

Sadly I don't believe this works - I tried it a while back and it only affects the mouse.

radiomike wrote:

From what you've stated, it sounds like a sensitivity issuea around tap detection, so it is probably also worth talking to the libinput guys in case they need to create a better or more specific default profile for your hardware. Especially if it's new or otherwise uncommon. You might also look at running under X to experiment with changes around this.

At the moment my solution is just running under X and configuring libinput using xconf. It works fine for the time being but obviously it would be good to get this addressed before Wayland becomes more fundamental to GNOME.

You're right, there is also an underlying issue with tap detection that is making this worse. It's a tricky one to pin down and a lot of the issues around this get WONTFIXED. See e.g. https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103017.  The libinput guys suspect that the underlying problem is in fact a kernel problem; from what I can make out they're a lot less willing to kludge round hardware/kernel bugs than the synaptics driver was. If I want that fixed I'm probably going to have to spend a bunch of time installing different kernels and regression testing it for anyone to accept the report, and that's more than I want to get into right now. Given that I really don't care about having middle-click it seemed disabling it would be the simpler option... ah well!

Addendum: If I do get motivated, it looks like I need to try and install a 4.11 series kernel to try this out. I guess I can try downloading the last 4.11 package from ALA, but I don't hold out much hope that it's going to boot nicely without me downgrading lots of other stuff. Sigh.

Last edited by lucianh (2018-03-10 17:24:04)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB