You are not logged in.
edit :
I had bad environment variables in my zshrc file.
export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0
solved the issue
---------------
Hi !
I have a Dell XPS 15 with a 4k screen and another external 4k monitor.
I am using KDE and configured it as per the documentation here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI but I have a problem when I start an application from the terminal (Konsole, Terminator, ...).
When the app starts, it doesn't handle the hidpi configuration so the interface looks bigger and not scaled properly.
If I start the app like Kate using the start menu, the interface is properly scaled.
This is causing me some problems with application like anaconda-navigator since it cannot be launch from the start menu (or I didn't find how to do that).
When I start "anaconda-navigator" from a terminal, the navigator is unusable since the interface is too big.
Any idea what to do to solve this problem ?
Thank you.
Last edited by hiveNzin0 (2018-03-15 18:39:04)
Offline
Hi,
am I the only one with this problem ? I can't seem to find a similar problem on google.
Offline
Where are you exporting the environment variables? If you simply set the scale factor and the like within the GUI KDE provides, there's a chance that the environment config is not propagated to a traditional shell depending on where they are exported from within KDE.
Offline
tr '\0' '\n' < /proc/$PID/environreplace $PID with the actual pid of either process (good and bad UI)
Offline
Where are you exporting the environment variables? If you simply set the scale factor and the like within the GUI KDE provides, there's a chance that the environment config is not propagated to a traditional shell depending on where they are exported from within KDE.
I have this in my ~/.zshrc
export GDK_SCALE=2
export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=2
If I use kde-open5 to open kate, it works, the window manager settings are used. Unfortunately, I cannot use that to open anaconda-navigator. Kde-open must only work with kde application I suppose.
Offline
I can see the scale factor for Qt and GTK app. Maybe there is another scale factor I didn't setup and that anaconda-navigator is expecting.
tr '\0' '\n' < /proc/$PID/environreplace $PID with the actual pid of either process (good and bad UI)
anaconda-navigator started from the terminal
[18:47:21 - gillouche@arch:~]$ tr '\0' '\n' < /proc/28826/environ
XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
DISPLAY=:0
SHLVL=2
LOGNAME=gillouche
XDG_VTNR=1
KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5
PWD=/home/gillouche
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
CONDA_SHLVL=0
XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user
MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx512m
XAUTHORITY=/home/gillouche/.Xauthority
COLORTERM=truecolor
XDG_SESSION_ID=c2
KDE_SESSION_UID=1000
DESKTOP_SESSION=/usr/share/xsessions/plasma
QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS=eDP-1=2;DP-1=2;HDMI-1=2;DP-2=2;HDMI-2=2;
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=KDE
PAM_KWALLET5_LOGIN=/run/user/1000/kwallet5.socket
SESSION_MANAGER=local/arch:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/16830,unix/arch:/tmp/.ICE-unix/16830
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
TERMINATOR_UUID=urn:uuid:3195bf1e-618e-48f6-8bf9-e6ef881738e2
MAIL=/var/spool/mail/gillouche
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share:/usr/share:/usr/local/share
_=/opt/anaconda/bin/anaconda-navigator
TERMINATOR_DBUS_NAME=net.tenshu.Terminator20x1a6021154d881c
VTE_VERSION=5003
TERMINATOR_DBUS_PATH=/net/tenshu/Terminator2
SHELL=/usr/bin/zsh
XCURSOR_THEME=Breeze_Snow
GRADLE_HOME=/usr/share/java/gradle
XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=2
GTK_MODULES=canberra-gtk-module
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE
TERM=xterm-256color
XCURSOR_SIZE=0
OLDPWD=/home/gillouche
HOME=/home/gillouche
XDG_SEAT=seat0
KDE_FULL_SESSION=true
USER=gillouche
GS_LIB=/home/gillouche/.fonts
XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session1
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/cuda/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl:/home/gillouche/Workspace/scripts/own/python:/home/gillouche/Workspace/scripts/own/shell:/opt/anaconda/bin
SHELL_CONFIG_DIR=/home/gillouche/Workspace/dotfiles/shellconf
ZSH=/home/gillouche/.oh-my-zsh
UPDATE_ZSH_DAYS=3
EDITOR=vim
ARCHFLAGS=-arch x86_64
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=C
PAGER=less
LESS=-R
LSCOLORS=Gxfxcxdxbxegedabagacad
LS_COLORS=rs=0:di=01;34:ln=01;36:mh=00:pi=40;33:so=01;35:do=01;35:bd=40;33;01:cd=40;33;01:or=40;31;01:mi=00:su=37;41:sg=30;43:ca=30;41:tw=30;42:ow=34;42:st=37;44:ex=01;32:*.tar=01;31:*.tgz=01;31:*.arc=01;31:*.arj=01;31:*.taz=01;31:*.lha=01;31:*.lz4=01;31:*.lzh=01;31:*.lzma=01;31:*.tlz=01;31:*.txz=01;31:*.tzo=01;31:*.t7z=01;31:*.zip=01;31:*.z=01;31:*.Z=01;31:*.dz=01;31:*.gz=01;31:*.lrz=01;31:*.lz=01;31:*.lzo=01;31:*.xz=01;31:*.zst=01;31:*.tzst=01;31:*.bz2=01;31:*.bz=01;31:*.tbz=01;31:*.tbz2=01;31:*.tz=01;31:*.deb=01;31:*.rpm=01;31:*.jar=01;31:*.war=01;31:*.ear=01;31:*.sar=01;31:*.rar=01;31:*.alz=01;31:*.ace=01;31:*.zoo=01;31:*.cpio=01;31:*.7z=01;31:*.rz=01;31:*.cab=01;31:*.wim=01;31:*.swm=01;31:*.dwm=01;31:*.esd=01;31:*.jpg=01;35:*.jpeg=01;35:*.mjpg=01;35:*.mjpeg=01;35:*.gif=01;35:*.bmp=01;35:*.pbm=01;35:*.pgm=01;35:*.ppm=01;35:*.tga=01;35:*.xbm=01;35:*.xpm=01;35:*.tif=01;35:*.tiff=01;35:*.png=01;35:*.svg=01;35:*.svgz=01;35:*.mng=01;35:*.pcx=01;35:*.mov=01;35:*.mpg=01;35:*.mpeg=01;35:*.m2v=01;35:*.mkv=01;35:*.webm=01;35:*.ogm=01;35:*.mp4=01;35:*.m4v=01;35:*.mp4v=01;35:*.vob=01;35:*.qt=01;35:*.nuv=01;35:*.wmv=01;35:*.asf=01;35:*.rm=01;35:*.rmvb=01;35:*.flc=01;35:*.avi=01;35:*.fli=01;35:*.flv=01;35:*.gl=01;35:*.dl=01;35:*.xcf=01;35:*.xwd=01;35:*.yuv=01;35:*.cgm=01;35:*.emf=01;35:*.ogv=01;35:*.ogx=01;35:*.aac=00;36:*.au=00;36:*.flac=00;36:*.m4a=00;36:*.mid=00;36:*.midi=00;36:*.mka=00;36:*.mp3=00;36:*.mpc=00;36:*.ogg=00;36:*.ra=00;36:*.wav=00;36:*.oga=00;36:*.opus=00;36:*.spx=00;36:*.xspf=00;36:
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/run/user/1000/ssh-agent.socket
QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/plugins/
GDK_SCALE=2kate started from the menu
[19:28:00 - gillouche@arch:~]$ tr '\0' '\n' < /proc/3965/environ
CONDA_SHLVL=0
GS_LIB=/home/gillouche/.fonts
KDE_FULL_SESSION=true
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
DISPLAY=:0
OLDPWD=/home/gillouche
QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS=eDP-1=2;DP-1=2;HDMI-1=2;DP-2=2;HDMI-2=2;
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
XDG_VTNR=1
PAM_KWALLET5_LOGIN=/run/user/1000/kwallet5.socket
XDG_SESSION_ID=c2
USER=gillouche
DESKTOP_SESSION=/usr/share/xsessions/plasma
GRADLE_HOME=/usr/share/java/gradle
PWD=/home/gillouche
HOME=/home/gillouche
XCURSOR_SIZE=0
XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share:/usr/share:/usr/local/share
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=KDE
GTK_MODULES=canberra-gtk-module
MAIL=/var/spool/mail/gillouche
SHELL=/usr/bin/zsh
XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user
XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
XCURSOR_THEME=Breeze_Snow
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE
XDG_SEAT=seat0
SHLVL=1
MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx512m
LOGNAME=gillouche
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
XAUTHORITY=/home/gillouche/.Xauthority
XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session1
QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/cuda/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl
KDE_SESSION_UID=1000
KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5
_=/usr/bin/kwrapper5
SESSION_MANAGER=local/arch:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/1350,unix/arch:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1350
DESKTOP_STARTUP_ID=arch;1521138474;185677;1401_TIME912147These properties seem interesting :
QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS=eDP-1=2;DP-1=2;HDMI-1=2;DP-2=2;HDMI-2=2;
QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0
Last edited by hiveNzin0 (2018-03-15 18:33:22)
Offline
Please wrap shell output in "code" tags.
This is only one environment, apparently for a process started from zsh. The interesting bit is the difference in the environment of a process started through the start menu.
Offline
Indeed, sorry. There are some differences regarding the scale factor.
I removed the env variables I had in my zshrc and put export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0 instead and now it is working.
Thanks a lot.
Offline