You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-11 16:23:31

kero

VLC: can't open subtitle files since upgrade to v. 3

Hi,

I have a simple but annoying problem: since I upgraded (yesterday) VLC (from 2.2.8-4 to 3.0.1-2), I'm unable to open a video file with a subtitle file. When I try, I have an error message, saying something like (traduction from french): "Your input media can't be open: VLC can't open file:///etc/etc/file.srt".

For now, I downgraded my VLC version back to 2.2.8-4 (which still works normally). Can't find where the problem comes from.

Any idea ?

k.

Last edited by kero (2018-03-11 16:30:52)

#2 2018-03-11 18:17:05

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: VLC: can't open subtitle files since upgrade to v. 3

Are you talking about embedded subtitles or standalone srt files? Also, are you able to play the video but not the subtitles or both don't play? What else do you see in the messages view of VLC (Ctrl + M)?

#3 2018-03-11 18:40:25

kero

Hi, thanks you for answering.

Are you talking about embedded subtitles or standalone srt files

About standalone srt files only. Didn't try embedded subtitles.

Also, are you able to play the video but not the subtitles or both don't play?

The video plays, but not the subtitles. I get the error popup about the subtitle file, while the video file is running normally.

What else do you see in the messages view of VLC (Ctrl + M)

The most relevant messages are

main debug: `file:///home/keikoz/file%3A///home/keikoz/The100.srt' gives access `file' demux `any' path `/home/keikoz/file%3A///home/keikoz/The100.srt'
main debug: creating demux: access='file' demux='any' location='/home/keikoz/file%3A///home/keikoz/The100.srt' file='/home/keikoz/file:///home/keikoz/The100.srt'
main debug: looking for access_demux module matching "file": 19 candidates
main debug: no access_demux modules matched
main debug: creating access: file:///home/keikoz/file%3A///home/keikoz/The100.srt
main debug: (path: /home/keikoz/file:///home/keikoz/The100.srt)
main debug: looking for access module matching "file": 27 candidates
filesystem error: cannot open file /home/keikoz/file:///home/keikoz/The100.srt (No such file or directory)
main debug: no access modules matched
main warning: failed to add file:///home/keikoz/file%3A///home/keikoz/The100.srt as slave

If needed, I can provide the entire debug trace.

I don't know if this can be related, but when I launch VLC from a terminal, I have other messages; one of them complains about "Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_i965.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Note: watching at the debug log, looks to me that VLC is misusing the file name. It transforms "file:///home/keikoz/The100.srt" into "file:///home/keikoz/file%3A///home/keikoz/The100.srt"

Maybee a bug then ?

Last edited by kero (2018-03-11 18:42:56)

#4 2018-03-12 03:49:26

x33a
Forum Fellow

This does sound like a bug. Please report it upstream.

In the meanwhile, see if the subtitles load fine if you save them in the same directory and with the same name as the video file. That is, if your video is named xyz.mp4, save the subtitles as xyz.srt in the same directory as the video file. Ideally, they should autoload in that case.

PS: I doubt it's a packaging issue, so I am moving this thread to the multimedia section.

#5 2018-03-14 16:51:00

kero

x33a wrote:

This does sound like a bug. Please report it upstream.

Fine, I will.

x33a wrote:

In the meanwhile, see if the subtitles load fine if you save them in the same directory and with the same name as the video file. That is, if your video is named xyz.mp4, save the subtitles as xyz.srt in the same directory as the video file. Ideally, they should autoload in that case.

Yes, it works indeed.

Thank you for help !

Board footer