You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-11 17:11:17

reklis

How to delay wifi connection until after the display manager?

Hey guys and girls, first time post for me.

I've got my new laptop mostly setup, but there is one thing that's bothering me.  I'm using netctl to auto start wifi on boot which is working, but when I'm away from home, I have to wait for the networking to timeout before getting to the display manager.  How do I change the order so that networking connects after I login, or asynchronously while it's booting the UI so I don't have to wait for it to time out?

Thanks!

#2 2018-03-11 17:18:53

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: How to delay wifi connection until after the display manager?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-03-16 06:07:51

reklis

So, that link was helpful but I still haven't got it figured out. 

The article on systemd says that there is a --user flag I can pass to systemctl and this should enable a profile specifically for my user, presumably in my home directory.  That sounds like what I want.  However, when using netctl enable <profile>, it doesn't look like there is an option for --user.  Or am I missing something obvious here?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netctl

Any guidance on best practices would be appreciated, I'd like to do it the 'proper' way if there is such a thing.

#4 2018-03-16 09:32:31

V1del
Forum Moderator

You can't really do that with user services, since netctl requires root to manage the interfaces (afaik).

However if I'm reading the changelog correctly, a simple interface service shouldn't be blocking boot while it attempts to acquire an IP unless netctl-wait-online service is enabled. can you post the journal of such a delayed boot and maybe

find /etc/systemd

#5 2018-03-16 09:55:45

loqs

@V1del
systemd-user-sessions.service contains
After=remote-fs.target nss-user-lookup.target network.target

/usr/lib/systemd/system/netctl.service contains
Type=oneshot

For network.target to complete netctl.service's ExecStart process must exit then  systemd-user-sessions.service can start.

Board footer