You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-13 11:31:04

Guisanti

Strange lag on firefox notifications and Spotify.

In the last months, I have experimented a strange situation in two of my most used applications.

The first one is with Firefox. Whenever I receive a notification I hear the sound related to it and at the same time the browser freezes during 5-10 seconds, after that everything works as usual, like if anything happened.

The second one is that Spotify lags during the first 20-30 seconds of the beginning of a song. It doesn't freeze, but however, although controls visually react they don't work. When I switch of tab it doesn't show anything and it's impossible to do anything. Even if I close the app the music keeps playing during the time I have specified.

I have been looking for information. About the first topic, I haven't found anything relevant, on the other side, the Spotify problem looks related to Hardware Acceleration.

I find that the problem is caused by the OS, however, I don't know how to debug it, or how to find logs/output/versions/error messages related to it.

Last edited by Guisanti (2018-03-13 12:41:38)

#2 2018-03-13 16:47:22

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Strange lag on firefox notifications and Spotify.

#3 2018-03-14 17:51:54

Guisanti

Sorry, I haven't expressed myself properly, the audio output works without any kind of problem, the problem is with the interface, by the beginning of the song the UI doesn't react, play/pause buttons don't work and if I change of tab all I see is a black interface, in matter of seconds after the beginning of a new song everything works as expected. Even though I have tried that solution and it didn't work.

Any clue to the Firefox problem? Do both problems look related? Or should I separate the threads?

#4 2018-03-14 17:59:38

V1del
Forum Moderator

No you did express yourself fine, however there are certain cases were powering up the audio card might lead to a stutter, and that would be in line with the observations so far. See also this more recent example so this is something I'd rule out first. Do you get any terminal output from affected applications, hardware and  drivers, can you reproduce a hang if you e.g. strace the binary?

Board footer