You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-13 14:32:59

HaloSlayer255

ZFS and BTRFS Questions.

Hello all,

I have some concerns about ZFS and BTRFS.

In my scenario I have always heard that data redundancy is preferred and to follow the rule of 3 this way it takes any two drives to fail before data is at risk of loss.
So I have the following setup of external hard drives.

x3 1TB drives for computer drive images (dd images mostly and some other files for a multiboot usb drive)
x3 2TB drives for PS1 disk image backups (isos again)
x3 2TB drives for User Data Backup, stuff like documents, receipts scanned to pdf, music, video movies, blu-ray files converted to mkv, etc.

All of these drives are currently using the NTFS filesystem. I understand that bit-rot can affect this filesystem.

Now I understand that ZFS and BTRFS implement a hash of all files at the filesystem level, so if any bit rot occurs it can be self healed from other drive's redundant data.

In ZFS this is a pool, and I can add more drives to the pool later, but how would I go about triplicating data instead of using this as a RAID 1 setup?

Would all of these drives need to be permanently attached to the system, or could I use something in fstab to prevent the system from hanging if these drives aren't connected? I see people use these filesystems for NAS devices that are remote from the system. I am attempting to setup three sets of data and keep one drive as primary, secondary, and tertiary. This way when a drive fails the data is easier to replace.

It seems as though my path is to convert one drive at a time to either ZFS or BTRFS and adding one drive at a time to three separate pools in the case of ZFS, or sub-directories in the case of BTRFS, thus having three sets of data separated as above.

Is my understanding in all of this correct so far or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,
HaloSlayer255

Board footer