You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-14 21:05:01

farad
Member
Registered: 2017-02-12
Posts: 9

[SOLVED] GNOME: resetting configuration of monitor

Hello everybody!

My LG FLATRON W2442PE has stopped working with HDMI in GNOME using Wayland, after it initially worked.
I am connecting it as a second screen to my laptop (Lenovo G70-70).

I am using the internal Intel Haswell graphics card for this. I disabled the other nvidia graphics card (a nvidia) in the BIOS for tracking down this issue.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Lenovo Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 46
	Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
	Memory at b0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	I/O ports at 4000 [size=64]
	[virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
	Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
	Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
	Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915

- I am trying to connect it via HDMI. VGA still works.
- I have successfully checked the monitor and the HDMI cable using another laptop, and my laptops HDMI port with another screen. Thus the hardware seems to be fine.
- The monitor also works over HDMI during startup and shutdown. It switches off during login into my account using GDM. The GDM login screen still displays correctly on both screens.
- When I activate the additional monitor in GNOME's settings. GNOME will keep the dual head mode until I enable the HDMI input in the monitor, which will cause my system to immediately go back to single screen mode.

Since it only affects that specific combination of this laptop and monitor and my login, and since it has already worked once, I suspect this to be some configuration issue in GNOME.

I tried resetting gnome's user configuration directories using the following command, retrieved from a thread on askubuntu, without avail.

mkdir ./.old-gnome-config/ && mv ./.gnome* ./.old-gnome-config/ && mv .gconf* ./.old-gnome-config/ && mv ./.metacity ./.old-gnome-config/ && mv ./.cache ./.old-gnome-config/ && mv ./.dbus ./.old-gnome-config/ && mv ./.dmrc ./.old-gnome-config/ && mv ./.mission-control ./.old-gnome-config/ && mv ./.thumbnails ./.old-gnome-config/   && mv ~/.config/dconf/* ./.old-gnome-config/

So my question is, where does GNOME store the raw display configuration. I want it to forget everything which it is assuming about this monitor.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully also for answering :-D

farad

-----------------

dual monitor setup with HDMI connection works, if I connect HDMI and VGA simultaneously to the external monitor and disable the external VGA in GNOME-settings.

Last edited by farad (2018-03-15 23:09:56)

Offline

#2 2018-03-15 09:24:31

ooo
Member
Registered: 2013-04-10
Posts: 1,638

Re: [SOLVED] GNOME: resetting configuration of monitor

There's ~/.config/monitors.xml

Offline

#3 2018-03-15 23:09:16

farad
Member
Registered: 2017-02-12
Posts: 9

Re: [SOLVED] GNOME: resetting configuration of monitor

Thanks a lot ooo!
Removing monitors.xml did the trick! My setup is working again.

I am really missing tools like xrandr in wayland though to debug this kind of problem.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB