You are not logged in.
Hello everyone,
I'm experiencing an unwanted behaviour with Firefox. In my /etc/fonts directory I created a local.conf file and defined the default Serif, Sans Serif and Monospace font. Here's my local.conf file:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file to configure system font access -->
<fontconfig>
<!-- default sans serif font -->
<match target="pattern">
<test qual="any" name="family"><string>sans-serif</string></test>
<edit name="family" mode="assign" binding="same"><string>Noto Sans</string></edit>
</match>
<!-- default serif font -->
<match target="pattern">
<test qual="any" name="family"><string>serif</string></test>
<edit name="family" mode="assign" binding="same"><string>Noto Serif</string></edit>
</match>
<!-- default monospace font -->
<match target="pattern">
<test qual="any" name="family"><string>monospace</string></test>
<edit name="family" mode="assign" binding="same"><string>Hack</string></edit>
</match>
</fontconfig>Literally the whole system is following those rules, with no problems; expect for Firefox. Or better, Firefox is following those rules, but partially. Some websites get rendered with Nimbus Sans instead of Noto Sans. The problem is that Nimbus Sans has a very bad alignment. I recently made the switch from Chromium and it didn't have this problem at all! Please note: I did not disallow websites to load custom fonts in Chromium (and obviously didn't do that in Firefox too); if a website requested custom fonts from a CDN or anything, they would load just fine!
This is what I mean by Nimbus Sans having a very bad alignment!
The last picture also shows that Hack is not being used as the monspace font, but Nimbus Mono is picked.
Unfortunately, this is happening with websites such as Github (shown in the picture) and Reddit, and I'm considering switching back to Chromium because of this, although I'm finding the Firefox experience better overall. I would seriously love sticking with Firefox but I'd also like to solve this issue.
Thanks in advance!
P.S. just one more detail; this page is using Noto Sans and Hack as expected.
Last edited by brainplot (2018-03-15 06:46:54)
Offline
After hours of tweaking I've finally found a solution! I just unlinked the 69-urw-fallback.conf file plus all the 69-nimbus-* files in /etc/fonts/conf.d
Last edited by brainplot (2018-03-15 07:29:30)
Offline