You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-15 19:02:41

davidinkent
Member
Registered: 2018-03-14
Posts: 9

Music CDROM

Using xfce4 and the Parole Media Player, when I connect an external DVD Player an icon 'audio disc' shows on the desktop but isn't mounted. If I try to view it in thunar, the same icon keeps repeatedly appearing. None of these will disappear if I mount and eject one of them. If I plug in the DVD player with cdrom and go straight to Parole Media Player and select 'play the audo disc', things appear to work. This behaviour seems odd. Is this the way mounting removeable drives and media should work?

Offline

#2 2018-03-15 19:14:25

teckk
Member
Registered: 2013-02-21
Posts: 590

Re: Music CDROM

'audio disc' shows on the desktop but isn't mounted

If I plug in the DVD player with cdrom and go straight to Parole Media Player and select 'play the audo disc'

If I understand you correctly. Audio CD's don't mount. They don't have a file system on them. They have tracks. You can play an audio disk.
An optical disk with an ISO 9660 or UDF file system will mount.

Offline

#3 2018-03-15 20:13:46

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,702

Re: Music CDROM

This ^^.

Also, your title choice reinforces this common misconception.  There are Audio CDs, and there are CDROMs.  They are not the same.


Edit:  Oh, Welcome to Arch Linux big_smile

Last edited by ewaller (2018-03-15 20:14:19)


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#4 2018-03-15 21:42:51

davidinkent
Member
Registered: 2018-03-14
Posts: 9

Re: Music CDROM

Thanks, Points taken. When I first plugged the audio disc in with my external DVD read/writer, the system kept adding icon after icon to the desktop, all saying 'audio disc'. Nothing would play. I moved the dvd drive to a rear USB port from the front on my intel NUC. That seemed to stop the aforementioned behaviour (or did it?). I will post another question about the behaviour of thunar and thunar-volman with removable drives and media, but all-in-all they do not appear to behave as advertised.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB