You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-17 20:04:57

grufo

XAMPP and its BitRock installer

Hi everyone!

I am the maintainer of the xampp package on AUR. The official binary files are distributed through a BitRock installer that requires root privileges and a "mysql" user registered in the machine (or else the installer tries to create it).

In order to solve the problem, I decided to run the official BitRock installer from the PKGBUILD via fakeuser and proot. But unfortunately on my machine the BitRock installer hangs indefinitely, either I run it manually in a terminal as root or from the PKGBUILD (under fakeroot+proot+fakeuser).

I'd like to ask anyone with a bit of time to test the AUR package (have a look at the PKGBUILD, test it, hack it). I would like to know if everything works fine on other machines or, if not, if anyone comes up with a solution.

--grufo

Last edited by grufo (2018-03-17 20:10:38)

#2 2018-03-18 12:58:39

Lone_Wolf

Re: XAMPP and its BitRock installer

Upstream site gives a "404 not found" , https://www.apachefriends.org/'https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html?ModPagespeed=noscript%27

I guess the error message should be "this site requires javascript, please enable it" instead of a 404 error ?

Having a hidden requirement doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the product.

The package lists GPL as license, where is the sourcecode for xampp located ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2018-03-18 13:41:58

grufo

Lone_Wolf wrote:

That's a very good point.

Out of curiosity, does makepkg with this PKGBUILD work on your PC?

#4 2018-03-18 13:51:23

Lone_Wolf

I never managed to get proot working with openrc as PID1 and my spare (systemd-booting) system is in use by a friend until her replacement system is ready (waiting for some parts to arrive atm).

For now i can't test, sorry.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2018-03-18 17:27:06

grufo

I also had a "PID problem" with proot, that's why this PKGBUILD uses proot 3.2.1 instead of the last version. Doing this fixed proot for me.

What I didn't solve yet instead is the BitRock installer of XAMPP that hangs forever.

Last edited by grufo (2018-03-18 19:49:16)

#6 2018-03-18 21:26:19

loqs

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Have a look in /opt/licenses listing licenses for 59 different components,  licences used include GPL2, GPL3, APACHE, BSD, MIT and custom.
https://www.apachefriends.org/about.html

XAMPP is a compilation of free software (comparable to a Linux distribution), it's free of charge and it's free to copy under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence. But it is only the compilation of XAMPP that is published under GPL. Please check every single licence of the contained products to get an overview of what is, and what isn't, allowed. In the case of commercial use please take a look at the product licences (especially MySQL), from the XAMPP point of view commercial use is also free.

The source for that would be the binaries that are unpacked and the configs to build the bundle?
Strictly the AUR package should list in the license field every one of the different license types that the XAMPP package will contain and make sure all compilations do not contain combinations forbidden by the various licenses such as APACHE+GPL2.
The licences directory contains entries for postgresql etc which are not actually supplied in that bundle.

#7 2018-03-19 00:43:02

ugjka
Website

I would run strace on it and see where it hangs, I have no clue how useful the output will be but maybe it will show something interesting

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

Board footer