You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-27 14:28:08

random.bits

kernel26-2.6.17.6.1 broken - [NOT... Laptop memory failed]

*** Enough people browsed this post but did not reply, so I assumed the kernel is fine.
     Went to re-install, and the install kernel also crashed...
     I ran memtest and the memory failed miserably.

So, never mind....  :oops:

I upgraded yesterday using pacman -Syu, I had last updated on the 11th of July.
I was able to start kde successfully, but it would hang on some of the applications (browser, mail). The system would crash - no mouse movement.

I saw some people having problems with samba and smbclient, so I removed them. It did work better, but the laptop would still crash in kde mode (screen go multicolour snow like).
At runlevel 3 everything was much better, but I got a fatal error running "du -c " "trying to read past device end (hda)."

I would suspect a problem with nvida giving the type of crashes I have seen (screen goes funky) except for the error with "du".

Its possible I borked my OS while working on a wireless device, so I am prepared to re-install everything, but just in case.... Anyone else having odd problems ?

Yes, I should post lots of info, but the crash is quite fatal, and I would have to type up all the messages... if no one else is experiencing problems, then its just my fault.

Its a Toshiba Satellite M30 laptop, with nvidia go graphics. Arch linux fully up to date as of yesterday 1 pm. Regular kernel26  (not beyond)

Board footer