You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-27 15:42:38

E.Hawke

Got Windows, how to add Arch with no data loss?

I already have Windows XP, as I've stated here before, but I am waiting for the chance to go over to Arch - and to do so, I got some questions.

I want to keep my C: partition because I got my video games there, and I'd like to avoid the deal with Wine and other Windows emulators as an option to play them with Arch.

How can I use my empty D: drive as my Arch station? Is it by any chance possible? Or do I need one swap partition and one partition with the Arch OS?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2006-07-27 16:29:12

djpharoah

Re: Got Windows, how to add Arch with no data loss?

E.Hawke wrote:

I already have Windows XP, as I've stated here before, but I am waiting for the chance to go over to Arch - and to do so, I got some questions.

I want to keep my C: partition because I got my video games there, and I'd like to avoid the deal with Wine and other Windows emulators as an option to play them with Arch.

How can I use my empty D: drive as my Arch station? Is it by any chance possible? Or do I need one swap partition and one partition with the Arch OS?

Thanks in advance.

Yes it is possible to "Dual Boot" between Arch and Windows XP. Make sure that during the installation you leave hda1 or (hd0,0) alone cuz thats where windows resides - DONT TOUCH hda1 or (hd0,0)

Then when you get to the point in the guide to edit the grub config file (menu.lst) just the add the part in the handbook to acces your windows XP partition .

IBM T41p - 2373-xXx - kernel26thinkpad

#3 2006-07-27 16:38:10

curana
Website

Expensive hint: MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE!!!

You need to add the following lines to your menu.lst:

# (1) Windows
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

File: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Have fun!

#4 2006-07-27 16:41:26

djpharoah

curana wrote:

# (1) Windows
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Actually it should be

# Windows XP
title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

This might work with the additional line - dont know

title    Microsoft Windows
root    (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader    +1

IBM T41p - 2373-xXx - kernel26thinkpad

#5 2006-07-27 16:50:33

curana
Website

I experienced problems with your last configuration. It always crashed with a grub-error.
So I removed savedefault and makeactive and now works. Maybe its a question of how you made ur partitions. I dont know.

Anyway, try mine 1st (less to type wink) and if it doesnt work, add savedefault and makeactive.
Good luck.

#6 2006-07-27 19:24:52

paranoos

I'm sure the install guide mentions this, but do not use the Arch installer's auto partition tool. It will delete all partitions, including Windows.

#7 2006-07-27 20:55:11

E.Hawke

Very well my fellow Arch-ers. I will do my best and dive in to this task. You've been helpful yet again, as always.

About those commands mentioned above, how and where do I write those? And at what time would they occur and demand me to write them?

#8 2006-07-27 21:23:16

curana
Website

E.Hawke wrote:

how and where do I write those?

As mentioned above: /boot/grub/menu.lst
There is a section where you can find similar entries. Not so complicated. Just read what is written there. And then...type it there. Character by character.

E.Hawke wrote:

And at what time would they occur and demand me to write them?

Well, when you boot up, there will be a menu with a blue background. There you can choose an entry which is listed in /boot/grub/menu.lst (Wow, who would have thought of THAT? big_smile).
If you dont have made the above adaptions, you might be able to choose "Windows XP" or even not at all. If not at all, well, then you should read what we posted above.
If you can select "Windows XP", then there might(!) appear an error "Unable to boot, BLABLA error!"
-> In this case you should do what we mentioned about the makeactive etc.

#9 2006-07-28 05:47:34

E.Hawke

Or, what if I boot from my Windows XP cd, create new partitions (...if possible), let's say I add two extra partitions - I boot into my Windows after doing so, I format them right there and then, I reboot - boot from my Arch CD and install it on the two extra partitions I made? Now, is that doable?

#10 2006-07-28 06:20:47

curana
Website

Its is also doable before. The problem is not the deletion of the partitions, the "problem" is how to tell GRUB (the Bootloader) where to find Windows, where to find ARCH.

You can format using Windows, sure (dont use NTFS) even I recommend ext3 or at least no Windows-readable filesystem (Security reasons).

You need to check the names of ur partitions. Windows gives real names or characters (C:, D: etc) but Linux has a more precise format: hda(0,0), hdb(0,0) etc.

Use google to find out the format. There is a command to have all partitions listed. But one thing I can tell you: Dont use hda(0,0) as this is ur Windows for (99.9%) sure.

#11 2006-07-29 17:58:58

E.Hawke

curana wrote:

Its is also doable before. The problem is not the deletion of the partitions, the "problem" is how to tell GRUB (the Bootloader) where to find Windows, where to find ARCH.

You can format using Windows, sure (dont use NTFS) even I recommend ext3 or at least no Windows-readable filesystem (Security reasons).

You need to check the names of ur partitions. Windows gives real names or characters (C:, D: etc) but Linux has a more precise format: hda(0,0), hdb(0,0) etc.

Use google to find out the format. There is a command to have all partitions listed. But one thing I can tell you: Dont use hda(0,0) as this is ur Windows for (99.9%) sure.

Will this give me the chance to select in the very beginning, after turning on my computer, which OS I'd like to run?

#12 2006-07-29 19:01:26

curana
Website

yes!

#13 2006-07-30 04:07:05

E.Hawke

-Yes.

Then, tell me the "benefits"/good sides of all those commands when you simply can use the Windows cd to clear some space for the Arch installation?

It's much easier it seems.

#14 2006-07-30 07:24:37

pauldonnelly

E.Hawke wrote:

-Yes.

Then, tell me the "benefits"/good sides of all those commands when you simply can use the Windows cd to clear some space for the Arch installation?

It's much easier it seems.

Which commands do you mean? The ones that go in /boot/grub/menu.lst? That's separate from partitioning. You need some free space on your drive that you can partition during install, or else some partitions that you plan to install to (with appropriate formats). When you install, Grub replaces the Windows bootloader, but doesn't know to add info about Windows to menu.lst, so you have to do it manually. Or maybe I'm confused about your question.

#15 2006-07-30 08:41:02

E.Hawke

Well, I just didn't understand all the talk about writing commands regarding the Grub bootloader when you can use your Windows CD as you'd use it to install windows--instead you (or me, in this case) delete the D: partition to make more space, then you create two new partitions where to put the Arch OS.

Simplicity.

#16 2006-07-30 08:53:19

curana
Website

E.Hawke wrote:

Simplicity.

To make it simple:

What you have:
- Windows XP running on C:
- A second partition D: (for Arch)
- Windows Bootloader with an entry for Windows XP

What you want:
- Windows XP running on C:
- ArchLinux running on D:
- GRUB Bootloader with an entry for XP and an entry for Arch as the Windows Bootloader cannot start a Linux System (at least as far as I know).

What you have to do:
1) Make a complete Backup of your drives using NortonGhost or Acronis TrueImage or sth.
2) Boot with your ArchLinux installation CD
3) Find out what is your drive C: ( should be hda(0,0) )
4) There should be only one partition left, this is your drive D:
5) Install Arch by following the commands/questions during the install process
6) When it comes to install the GRUB Loader, edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst (maybe its offered just as menu.lst during the install process) and add the lines we posted again and again above.
7) Be very happy that GRUB can load Windows XP AND ArchLinux.

I dont think I can describe it more easily to you, but one thing comes to my mind without wanting to be mean, but dont you think another distro would be an easier start for you? SuSE or Ubuntu offer a much easier installation process and ask you everything step by step, no need to edit files or anything. The installationprocess is the easiest part of an installation I think.

You dont have another Computer where you can try it before? And make a backup!!! If you want to try Arch and it seems you are quite new to these topics, get as much security as you can get!

Good luck!

#17 2006-07-30 22:23:45

E.Hawke

curana wrote:
E.Hawke wrote:

Simplicity.

I dont think I can describe it more easily to you, but one thing comes to my mind without wanting to be mean, but dont you think another distro would be an easier start for you?

Well, I do have tried other distro's (Mandriva, Linspire, SuSE), and yes, maybe I'd need more experience with other distro's to 'get ready for' Arch. And you are not mean in any way, I'm glad you're being honest.

Anyway, I do like to try Arch, and I don't mind some thinking, coding and cursing to make it roll--in fact, I think that might give me experience as well, right?

To be honest myself, simplicity is a need for me if I ever want to try a new distro.

#18 2006-07-31 06:40:49

curana
Website

E.Hawke wrote:

Anyway, I do like to try Arch, and I don't mind some thinking, coding and cursing to make it roll--in fact, I think that might give me experience as well, right?

To be honest myself, simplicity is a need for me if I ever want to try a new distro.

Ok, then I would suggest you get started. As long as you have a complete backup of your harddisk and as long as you dont format or delete hda(0,0), I think you can only win.

Make the first step and if you stuck, there are some people here who want to waste their time to make Arch-Beginners Arch-Professionals... wink

Board footer