You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-28 19:57:20

bademeister

Basic research for arch beginner

Hi,

i'm trying Archlinux after some experience with gentoo.
The installation was a full success, but i have some questions:

1. I read, that i can build my software with the source like Gentoo.
My search results are that there is ABS and AUR.
a) What is behind ABS and AUR in detail and how play it perhaps together ?
b) It is possible to build up the basic system from scratch (compiling) like Gentoo ?

2. I think a documentation is the absolute basic.
Where can i find a "structured" documentation ?
Because some important information was found only in a link of a doc and there again. This is anything but structured, because it was luck to find the right information.

Thank you and

regards

bademeister

#2 2006-07-28 21:13:16

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Basic research for arch beginner

bademeister;
The archlinuxOS is generally a bleefing-edge OS, basis i686 architecture.

As such, documentation is a fretful thing when things are a-changing as rapidly as they have been in recent months.

The install CD has a lengthy document which is quite helpful.

The latest changes are discussed in this forum at length.

ABS (Arch Build System) is utilized to automate much of the   procedures required to create, say, a custom kernel.

The use of ABS is covered in the wiki docs.

The AUR (Arch User Repository) provides users the opportunity to generate PKGBUILDS which are developed from sources other than ARCHLINUX for example.  There are many hundreds of these available for arch users to install.  The archlinux system is coordinated automatically through pacman which keeps tabs on packages within the system and can perform controlled upgrades to them.  The AUR enables (provides?) PKGBUILDS which thru "makepkg"  enables pacman to install them as packages and maintain control of system package management.

This is a simplified description which has details peculiar to "the arch way" which can be discerned from observing the practices described in the wiki(s) and examples given in the forums as well as bulletins from the developers .

Above all, it is changing!!!!  I am presently busy with a Larch LiveCD/DVD to-ram project that is coming along nicely.

Welcome to Archlinux !!!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2006-07-30 18:51:09

peterk0

abs and also many other stuff is pretty well documented in wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org

#4 2006-08-02 16:45:47

jaboua

I think the best information source if you need somethng is the wiki.

ABS is a lot like ports, but not as automated as portage - if you want sometghing more automated, you should try "srcpac" which basicly compiles packages from ABS with the same interface as pacman installs binary packages.

AUR is like a user-driven, source-based repository with tons of packages. Everyone can contribute, you should look up how to make PKGBUILDs in the wiki. To automate AUR-building you might want to check out "aurbuild".

And yes, like in gentoo you can compile the whole system from source - you can install new packages with srcpac or the ports-way with "makepkg". Also, there is a command to recompile the whole OS, I wonder if it was "makeworld"... See the file /etc/makepkg.conf for CFLAGS and such.

#5 2006-08-03 09:11:07

bademeister

jaboua wrote:

I think the best information source if you need somethng is the wiki.

ABS is a lot like ports, but not as automated as portage - if you want sometghing more automated, you should try "srcpac" which basicly compiles packages from ABS with the same interface as pacman installs binary packages.

AUR is like a user-driven, source-based repository with tons of packages. Everyone can contribute, you should look up how to make PKGBUILDs in the wiki. To automate AUR-building you might want to check out "aurbuild".

And yes, like in gentoo you can compile the whole system from source - you can install new packages with srcpac or the ports-way with "makepkg". Also, there is a command to recompile the whole OS, I wonder if it was "makeworld"... See the file /etc/makepkg.conf for CFLAGS and such.

At first thank you @ all for all kind of help.

Ok, now my understanding (in a short summary) is:

1. ABS is the way to create my own packages for binary code.
2. AUR is the platform to contribute my own packages. There are
moderators/maintainers to check the credibility of my packages and by myself. All users can vote the packages.
3. srcpac is the alternative to pacman to install packages from source.
srcpac will got gcc parameters from the file /etc/makepkg.conf and will check dependencies and work like pacman, also it use information
of the PKGBUILD file to find the download-source for example.

Best regards

bademeister

Board footer