You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-02 03:06:49

redshoe

Problem of OpenCL with new AMD GPU drivers (opencl-amd)

I'm trying to use OpenCL with AMD GPUs. I have had it working before AMDGPU drivers came about with Catalyst. I can't seem to get OpenCL working again in my machine.

Here is what I've done so far. For your information my GPU is AMD FirePro W2100, which is Oland XT chip.

1. I followed the instructions in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GPGPU: installing opencl-amd, ocl-icd, and opencl-headers.

2.  'clinfo' showed " amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.45.0 but this driver is only compatible with 3.x.x. " error

3. So, I've blacklisted 'radeon' by creating /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-radeon.conf

4. After, however, 'clinfo' does not detect any GPUs.

I don't know what to do now. I can use opencl-mesa, but this method only allows me to use OpenCL 1.1 not 1.2 and above.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

#2 2018-04-03 20:08:03

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Problem of OpenCL with new AMD GPU drivers (opencl-amd)

You might be interested in this thread although it's about  a vega card.

If you really need opencl your best bet may be to run an amdgpu-pro supported distro in a VM (passing through the card).

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2018-04-03 20:08:54)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2018-04-05 02:42:01

redshoe

Re: Problem of OpenCL with new AMD GPU drivers (opencl-amd)

Thank you for the reply.

I was getting almost same symptoms as the post that you've linked. I guess I should just use different distro for OpenCL...

Man, I wish there is some kind of a work around for this.

Board footer