You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-29 11:03:58

Majkijin

Remounting Root Filesystem Read-only, what for?

Hi.
I have question. What really for while rebooting/halting system root filesystem is remounted? One second before all filesystems are unmounted. Why it has to be mounted when shutting off the computer.
Thanks in advance.

#2 2006-07-29 11:43:53

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Re: Remounting Root Filesystem Read-only, what for?

It's mounted read-only during boot so that a filesystem check can be performed. During shutdown its remounted read-only before the reboot or  poweroff command because filesystem transactions can still occur at the point of the reboot or shutdown. Remount read-only tells the filesystem to finish up everything its doing now so these transaction no longer occur at the point of the shutdown or reboot, thus avoiding filesystem inconsistancies.

#3 2006-07-29 23:52:06

alexpnx

I have a question on a similar topic... How unsafe is it if the system is rebooted or shutdown without unmounting samba shares? Can the shares be corrupted?

#4 2006-07-30 10:07:29

Majkijin

Thanks for the explanation.

#5 2006-08-02 16:35:09

jaboua

alexpnx wrote:

I have a question on a similar topic... How unsafe is it if the system is rebooted or shutdown without unmounting samba shares? Can the shares be corrupted?

I think the  file(s) you're writing to during shutdown can be corrupted (not all corrupted, but simply unfinished saved), if you write there at all, but not anything else as the partition is still up on the host and the host takes care of metadata and stuff - it's worse with local partitions where metadata and stuff can be saved uncompletely, which can lead to files disappearing all over the filesystem, some old files showing up again etc.

Can someone else confirm this?

Board footer