You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-11 07:56:06

Danacus

Black screen when switching from tty to X session with Nvidia drivers

Hello

Every time I switch from a tty to my X session, my screen seems to "fade out" and stay black until I manually restart my monitor or re-plug the HDMI cable. It also makes a very quiet, high-pitched noise when it turns black. This issue also occurs when my computer wakes from suspend and sometimes when I close a java based game (this might sound a little weird but it's something I have noticed). Restarting the display manager also causes this issue to occur. I've had this issue since I started using Linux. It used to happen very rarely, but over time it occurred more often and now it has become a consistent issue. This made me think that it might be a hardware related issue, but it does not happen when I use nouveau.

Hardware information: https://ptpb.pw/U4PB
Kernel version: 4.15.15-1-ARCH
Nvidia driver version: 390.48

Xorg log: https://ptpb.pw/1ec_
I have switched from the tty to my windowmanager and restarted my monitor a couple of times, which caused it to write some output to this log file.

Journalctl: https://ptpb.pw/XAkw

I have tried using a different display manager, but that didn't help. Then I thought it might be related to a conflict with the integrated graphics of my Intel cpu and I tried blacklisting some kernel modules as the Arch wiki suggests, but that didn't work either. When I run 'lspci | grep VGA', it shows me only one VGA controller: '01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 760 OEM] (rev a1)'. This makes me think that there might be no conflict with the Intel graphics, but I could be wrong.

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with this problem.

Last edited by Danacus (2018-04-11 07:56:51)

#2 2018-04-11 08:19:50

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Black screen when switching from tty to X session with Nvidia drivers

That's some incompatibility when switching from the modesetting-less TTY to an X server. Load nvidia-drm.modeset=1 on your kernel parameters or add a corresponding options line in /etc/modprobe.d

Last edited by V1del (2018-04-11 08:23:40)

#3 2018-04-11 08:55:20

Danacus

V1del wrote:

That's some incompatibility when switching from the modesetting-less TTY to an X server. Load nvidia-drm.modeset=1 on your kernel parameters or add a corresponding options line in /etc/modprobe.d

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately this made things a little worse. I now get a black screen when booting too. I have to restart my monitor then as well. When waking from suspend it now goes straight to a black screen instead of showing a blinking cursor in the top left corner first, again waiting for me to restart the monitor. I added nvidia-drm.modeset=1 as a kernel parameter. That didn't work, so I created a file in /etc/modprobe.d with 'option nvidia-drm modeset=1'. That doesn't seem to work either. Any other suggestions?

#4 2018-04-11 09:04:47

V1del
Forum Moderator

Hmm, that does sound weird,  you do specifically mention replugging the monitor fixes it, have you tried ruling out an issue with your monitor/cable? This does sound like it loses the signal during a modesetting switch and can't properly recover.

#5 2018-04-11 09:47:37

Danacus

I did some testing and the results are interesting. First I tried using a VGA cable instead. This works perfectly, it just looks horrible. If I plug in both VGA and HDMI and manually select one in my monitor settings, tty works on both modes, but X only works with the VGA cable. If I unplug my VGA cable, X does work again with the HDMI cable, but the issue with the black screen returns. (I would have tried a DVI cable, but I couldn't find one) Any ideas?

Board footer