You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-18 16:38:32

muchweb

Thinkpad A475 — Touchpad not detected

Hi there,

I've got brand new Thinkpad A475, which is basically T470 with an AMD processor instead of Intel.

Fresh Arch installation with X.Org, but neither trackpoint nor touchpad works. They aren't even listed in `xinput`.

No mention in journalctl, dmesg or Xorg.0.log.

Laptop is supposed to be fitted with (from spec sheet) 'UltraNav™ TrackPoint™ pointing device and buttonless Mylar surface multi-touch touchpad'.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Last edited by muchweb (2018-04-18 16:39:49)

#2 2018-04-18 21:54:52

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Thinkpad A475 — Touchpad not detected

When you say “fresh”, when do you mean?

I've had trouble on one of my thinkpads on the 4.16 kernel series so far, and for now I've reverted back to 4.15 as it functions properly.

What kernel version do you have?

All the best,

-HG

#3 2018-04-19 04:54:14

muchweb

By “fresh” I mean brand new installation, with all packages and BIOS/UEFI at latest version. Kernel is 4.15.15-1-ARCH.

I spent several days trying to fix this issue. Neither trackpoint nor touchpad ever worked since I got the laptop. I have even tried booting different LiveCD distributions, but it didn't work anywhere.

Then yesterday my PC went to sleep, and when I woke it up, trackpoint and touchpad started working (showed up in xinput). Now they fork flawlessly, and the fix is persistent between reboots. I did't change any configuration, or any BIOS settings, sleep/wake is literally what fixed it. I don't know how to explain this.

#4 2018-05-31 18:23:45

PyroDevil

Thanks! That really helped! After resuming from suspend to RAM trackpoint and touchpad are working.

I got A475 as well with kernel 4.17.0.1-1-MANJARO

Update: While is was persistent over a reboot at first, the touchpad and trackpoint stop working occasionally on a freshly booted system. I now updated the Bios from 1.06 to 1.10 and I will see if that solved the problem.

Also I had some strange battery issues. First I got a 'battery is not authorized' message on every boot, then this message disappeared. But both batteries weren't charged even when the laptop was powered off. Then suddenly after some power on of cycles they were charged... The 'battery unauthorized' message is also apparently a bios bug that should be fixed now. We will see.

Last edited by PyroDevil (2018-06-01 19:34:49)

Probably the last man who knew how it worked had been tortured to death years before.
Or as soon as it was installed. Killing the creator was a traditional method of patent protection.
(Small Gods)

Board footer