You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-20 19:57:28

Nokurn
Website

Eluktronics/Clevo N850HP6 - Using iGPU on battery, iGPU+dGPU on AC

I recently picked up an Eluktronics N850HP6, which is based on the Clevo chassis of the same name. It had an Intel Core i7-7700HQ processor with an Intel HD Graphics 630 iGPU and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 dGPU. The GPUs are built to work in tandem through NVIDIA Optimus, which of course has less than stellar support in Linux. I've come to terms with the fact that I won't be able to smoothly transition between the iGPU and dGPU on a per-application basis, but I am now trying to figure out how to use the DisplayPort and HDMI port that are attached to the dGPU. The DisplayPort attached to the iGPU works well, although xrandr reports it as being on HDMI-0. I'd like to achieve the following setup:

1. While on battery power, the dGPU is powered off. It would be a plus if optirun were usable in this state, but I can settle for the dGPU simply being disabled while I'm not plugged in.
2. While on AC power, the iGPU and dGPU are both enabled, using the i915 modeset driver for the iGPU and the nvidia driver for the dGPU. Applications on the DP/HDMI attached to the dGPU render using the NVIDIA drivers/libraries.

Is this possible? I suspect there will be some systemd configuration involved, but I am not sure where to begin to detect the power state changes. I also don't know how to go about changing the Xorg configuration on the fly in response to the dGPU being powered on/off.

Board footer