You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-27 02:24:14

thydian

Any issues with new grub?

Hey all. I'm in the middle of kernel tweaking and noticed a new grub came along. Now I'm in the position of not getting a grub menu anymore on boot despite a successful "load" before rebooting. If I boot with my emergency disc and switch my setup to using lilo - I'm fine. When I switch back to grub - nothing at all at boot - no grub and no prompt. Anything come to mind that I should investigate?

In the meantime, I'll reinstall with pacman and see if anything changes...

#2 2004-01-27 03:01:44

thydian

Re: Any issues with new grub?

Well I solved the problem unexpectedly. I usually type grub, and from the prompt specify my options:

> root (hd0, 3)
> setup (hd0)
> quit

I've never had a problem until an hour or so ago.

This time around I used "install-grub /dev/discs/disc0/disc" (saw it mentioned on groups.google) and let the util do the work. As far as I can tell it proceeds to operate line by line with what I did above and have been doing for numerous kernel installs. But this worked!

Is this just random chance? Would anything new have heppened here? I'm thrilled and baffled at the same time...

Thanks for those who read and gave some thought to this.

#3 2004-01-27 09:57:16

andy

This is indeed weird. The difference between grub-internal setup and grub-install is actually described in the manual :
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual … stallation
But despite the warning in the manual, I use to use grub-install myself ;-) Maybe the link helps. Also, grub-install is a shell script, so you can look at it (it's not really short, though).

#4 2004-01-27 21:59:45

iKevin

Well, I had the same problem that you had and your solution worked for me.

Thanks
Kevin

Board footer