You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-28 04:32:55

ryanerwin

How to make the GRUB LUKS password prompt less ugly?

Hello,

I'm using LVM on top of LUKS for my root partition, so I enter the passphrase just after choosing an option from the GRUB menu.
The GRUB menu looks great. I like text menus, graphics mode is fine too... but then I get such an ugly looking password prompt...

:: running early hook [udev]
starting version 238
:: running early hook [lvm2]
:: Triggering uevents...
:: running hook [keymap]
:: Loading keymap...done.
:: running hook [encrypt]
Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-uuid/c58ca81a-f5df-4ac5-a388-33096d2a11ae ...

A password is required to access the lvmcrypt volume:
Enter passphrase for /dev/disk/by-id/c58ca81a-f5df-4ac5-a388-33096d2a11ae: _
UPDATE

Been able to make this a little less ugly by getting rid of all the other output on the screen...

Passing "quiet" to the kernel hides all the ":: running..." messages
Putting "consolefont" as the first of the HOOKS in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf lets me change the prompt font
Putting "FONT=sun12x22" in /etc/vconsole.conf so far is the biggest prompt font that I can find
Putting "rd.udev.log_priority=3" in my GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub and rebuilding/reinstalling grub hides the "starting version 238" line.
Don't use "GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep" so that you can use a low rez like 640x480 on the grub menu and fill the whole screen, and then jump to a higher resolution while increasing your font size via /etc/vconsole.conf

After all that, now I just have:

A password is required to access the lvmcrypt volume:
Enter passphrase for /dev/disk/by-id/c58ca81a-f5df-4ac5-a388-33096d2a11ae: _
Getting better, but the question still stands...

Is there a way to have the GRUB menu ask for the password and pass it to the kernel?
Or a way to replace the UUID that is displayed with something more friendly?
Or at least a way to truncate the UUID?
Also, can we echo a circle or something for each character of password we type?

Last edited by ryanerwin (2018-04-28 08:42:18)

Board footer