You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-08 20:54:09

EleaticAchilles

[SOLVED] Touchpad button clicking on Ideapad broken in LXDE

I have a Lenovo ideapad 110 laptop. I have been using LXDE for hours daily with no problems until an update two days ago.  In pacman.log I see:

[2018-05-06 22:24] [ALPM] upgraded libinput (1.10.3-1 -> 1.10.6-1)
[2018-05-06 22:26] [ALPM] upgraded xf86-input-libinput (0.27.0-2 -> 0.27.1-1)

I also have xorg-xinput installed, but it was not updated recently.

I don't see any lxde packages that were updated at the same time.

Now it seems that clicking on the touchpad is almost entirely disabled in LXDE.  I say "almost" because when I start LXDE, I can right click to get a menu, and I can select further options in the menu by clicking.  I can also click on an icon to open a window, and that works. But as soon as a window has been displayed, further clicking with the touchpad yields nothing.  I can no longer even right click on the desktop background to get a menu.  Moving the cursor around works fine.

I disabled all autostart applications and tested this multiple times, and it seems clicking always works until I do anything that displays a window, and then it is broken.
(EDIT: This isn't entirely right, as I have now found some cases where button click starts working again. I haven't figured out the pattern yet.)

Once I perceived this problem, I installed xfce, and the touchpad seems to work fine there.

Initial searches don't reveal anyone on Arch or any distro having precisely this problem in recent days, but I see various possibly related problems being reported.  I am doing further research now, and will post anything that seems relevant.

EDIT:
From

libinput list-devices

this seems relevant:

Device:           SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
Kernel:           /dev/input/event6
Group:            9
Seat:             seat0, default
Size:             100x48mm
Capabilities:     pointer gesture
Tap-to-click:     disabled
Tap-and-drag:     enabled
Tap drag lock:    disabled
Left-handed:      disabled
Nat.scrolling:    disabled
Middle emulation: n/a
Calibration:      n/a
Scroll methods:   *two-finger edge 
Click methods:    none
Disable-w-typing: enabled
Accel profiles:   none
Rotation:         n/a

From

xinput list

I determined that the device id is 12, and then

xinput list-props 12

gives me:

Device 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad':
	Device Enabled (146):	1
	Coordinate Transformation Matrix (148):	1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
	libinput Tapping Enabled (281):	0
	libinput Tapping Enabled Default (282):	0
	libinput Tapping Drag Enabled (283):	1
	libinput Tapping Drag Enabled Default (284):	1
	libinput Tapping Drag Lock Enabled (285):	0
	libinput Tapping Drag Lock Enabled Default (286):	0
	libinput Tapping Button Mapping Enabled (287):	1, 0
	libinput Tapping Button Mapping Default (288):	1, 0
	libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled (289):	0
	libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled Default (290):	0
	libinput Disable While Typing Enabled (291):	1
	libinput Disable While Typing Enabled Default (292):	1
	libinput Scroll Methods Available (293):	1, 1, 0
	libinput Scroll Method Enabled (294):	1, 0, 0
	libinput Scroll Method Enabled Default (295):	1, 0, 0
	libinput Accel Speed (296):	0.000000
	libinput Accel Speed Default (297):	0.000000
	libinput Left Handed Enabled (298):	0
	libinput Left Handed Enabled Default (299):	0
	libinput Send Events Modes Available (266):	1, 1
	libinput Send Events Mode Enabled (267):	0, 0
	libinput Send Events Mode Enabled Default (268):	0, 0
	Device Node (269):	"/dev/input/event6"
	Device Product ID (270):	2, 7
	libinput Drag Lock Buttons (300):	<no items>
	libinput Horizontal Scroll Enabled (301):	1

This output indicates that tapping seems to be disabled, but I don't think that is the problem.  The touchpad has two buttons, and it is the buttons that no longer work in LXDE.

EDIT:
I autostarted emacs in LXDE, and ran

libinput debug-events

in a shell there before clicking the touchpad button.  Clicking the button within the emacs window recorded a button press, and did not disable anything.  But then clicking outside the window, on various LXDE elements, also recorded a button press. Additional button presses would be recorded, but they no longer did anything.

That suggests to me that libinput is working properly, but that LXDE is doing the wrong things with the input.  Maybe I somehow screwed up LXDE. I was in fact trying to make some changes to LXDE right around the time I ran the update.

EDIT:
I ran

pacman -Rns lxde

and deleted every directory in ~/.config/ that seemed LXDE related. Then I reinstalled LXDE. But the problem remains.

I now suspect I might have the same problem as this guy:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/919114/ … t-clicking

Like him, I have ascertained that the problem can arise from using the button to drag the scroll bar (as well as from clicking on things), and like him, it seems I can temporarily resolve the problem by killing the process that got it started.  I have now seen it arise by clicking on desktop icons, by clicking on elements of windows, and clicking on the panel. I'm not yet certain of the pattern that produces it.

EDIT:
This looks related but I am not yet certain if it is the same problem:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=236974

EDIT:
I did an update that took libinput from 1.10.6-1 to 1.10.7-1.  This seems to have resolved the problem, since I resumed using LXDE at that point and have been using it hours daily for several days, with no recurrence of the issue. So I'm marking it solved.

Last edited by EleaticAchilles (2018-05-24 01:43:59)

Board footer