You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-01 17:34:44

ballon

Sound capture with LiveDrive

I recently installed arch after my old slackware setup began to break down, but I can't seem to get sound capture to work properly. I'm not sure exactly where it fails, but I have a couple of ideas.

I have a SB Live! Platinum 5.1, with a LiveDrive, and want to be able to record through the RCA-connectors on the front panel. This worked just fine on my previous setup if the following commands were issued at boot time

amixer sset "Line2 LiveDrive",1 Capture nocapture
amixer sset "Line2 LiveDrive",1 Capture toggle
amixer sset "Line2 LiveDrive",1 Capture 100%

Sadly I don't remember what version of Alsa I was using then. If anyone knows how I can tell, I still have the system on HDD, I'd appreciate it.

Sound output works fine, and capture via the rear connector "works", ie if the AC97 Capture channel is cranked up and capture enabled on the Mix and Capture channels in alsamixer I can record a horribly distorted version of the sound fed into the soundcard. Capturing the Wave channel directly also works fine. But alas, all attempts at capturing from Line2 has failed.

My analysis comes down to these suggestions to what's wrong:
1. Some switch has to be flipped to select Line2 as the input I'm trying to record from. In the official mixer for Windows there is such a switch. This would imply that some changes have been made to Alsa, since I didn't have to do that earlier. At least I can't find any trace of such a thing in my old boot scripts.
2. The LiveDrive is disabled. Since the LiveDrive lacks any features indicating if it's actually enabled I haven't been able to verify that it is, but I can't come up with any reason why it shouldn't be already.
3. Some other changes in Alsa that I haven't managed to track down the slightest bit of information about even after hours of searching. The whole Alsa project is a complete and utter mess when it comes to documentation.

I've tried getting S/PDIF and Headphone output to work from the LiveDrive, to eliminate (2), but that has also failed.

As you can see, I've tried for a while but can't seem to succeed on my own, so all help is greatly appreciated.

#2 2006-08-01 17:37:12

ballon

Re: Sound capture with LiveDrive

To just rule out one possibility myself: The LiveDrive is getting power, since the Optical out gives a faint red light when the cap is removed.

Board footer