You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-13 05:00:17

tfcata

Any way to control fan speed of the graphics card on passthrough?

As the title, I passthrough my AMD 7850 to a Windows guest VM, so I needed to blacklist the driver on the host. But I recently realize that when the guest is running the fan on the GPU is running at a lower speed with less noise, which apparently is controlled by the card driver in the guest. When the guest VM shuts down, the fan returns to a higher speed which presumably is the normal speed when the driver release control and everything goes to the 'normal' state. The issue is the noise is greater. I tried to use lm-sensor but it cannot discover the sensor on the GPU. So the question is that if there is any wah to adjust the fan speed?

#2 2018-05-13 12:23:42

gandolin

Re: Any way to control fan speed of the graphics card on passthrough?

I'm not sure if you've already read through this, but there appears to be an Arch wiki page explaining fan control options:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fan_speed_control

There is a section called "amdgpu sysfs fan control" which indicates that the amdgpu kernel driver supports fan control. I'm not sure if that would address your problem. I haven't tried to control the fan speed on my graphics card.

#3 2018-05-14 15:49:14

tfcata

Re: Any way to control fan speed of the graphics card on passthrough?

Acoording to that wiki, the first file needed to enable manual fan control is this one but it does not exists on my system.

/sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1_enable

Any idea?

Board footer