You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-16 06:27:24

0BADC0DE

[KDE] Why kate doesn't show up in the "Recent applications" menu?

I have noticed that the text editor kate from the "Utilties" sub-menu never show up in there.
Programs like VirtualBox, Audacity, LibreOffice, konsole and k3b (all started from the "Application menu") do.
But not kate.
Is there any reason? Is there a way to fix this?

TIA.

Maybe Computers Will Never Become As Intelligent
As Humans. Surely They Won't Ever Become So Stupid.

#2 2018-05-16 15:50:39

c00ter

Re: [KDE] Why kate doesn't show up in the "Recent applications" menu?

Works fine here. What do your logs say? What is the output when you run Kate from a terminal? Did you logout/in after installing Kate? What does your research into this (your) problem show? Plasma is a somewhat "heavy" environment and menu changes sometimes don't show immediately. Speaking of such, which KDE menu application is involved?

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#3 2018-05-16 16:05:05

0BADC0DE

c00ter wrote:

What do your logs say?

Which logs?
The only thing I see in the logs (actually systemd journal) is something like this:

plasmashell[824]: KActivitiesStats( 0x564bc862e390 ) ResultModelPrivate::onResultScoreUpdated  result added: "applications:org.kde.kate.desktop" score: 5.95581 last: 1526453177 first: 1521384562

but I have no idea about the meaning.

c00ter wrote:

What is the output when you run Kate from a terminal?

There's no output at all.

c00ter wrote:

Did you logout/in after installing Kate?

Sure. I logout every day. I installed kate long ago.
Nonetheless my "recent applications" seems to be persistent among logins and logouts.
That's what I would expect from such a feature, though.

c00ter wrote:

What does your research into this (your) problem show?

No research so far, just wondering why some programs get into that menu, and some don't.

c00ter wrote:

Plasma is a somewhat "heavy" environment and menu changes sometimes don't show immediately. Speaking of such, which KDE menu application is involved?

I don't really get this point. Some programs get into the recents menu, and some don't. Those who do, do it immediately.

#4 2018-05-16 20:03:37

c00ter

0BADC0DE wrote:

Which logs?
The only thing I see in the logs (actually systemd journal) is something like this:

plasmashell[824]: KActivitiesStats( 0x564bc862e390 ) ResultModelPrivate::onResultScoreUpdated  result added: "applications:org.kde.kate.desktop" score: 5.95581 last: 1526453177 first: 1521384562

but I have no idea about the meaning.

You added or changed kate. Whatever it was, this reflects it.

There's no output at all.

To be expected if kate loads correctly.

Nonetheless my "recent applications" seems to be persistent among logins and logouts.

It will show on a "recently used" menu but not a "recently added" menu.

No research so far, just wondering why some programs get into that menu, and some don't.

Your's is the first post of this nature that I recall in recent times. Hence I ask if you have at least Googled the problem and/or other research so we don't have to do it for you. My applications launcher, the stock Kicker (?) application launcher--actually a plasmoid nowadays--does not have a "Recent applications" menu.

I don't really get this point. Some programs get into the recents menu, and some don't. Those who do, do it immediately.

I meant do not expect a newly added application to immediately show up in the app launcher. Sometimes a logout/in or reboot may be required.

Look, if you are using any application launcher--there are several--other than the default for Plasma, say so and which one. Also, please differentiate between "recently added" and recently used."

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#5 2018-05-17 06:07:10

0BADC0DE

c00ter wrote:

It will show on a "recently used" menu but not a "recently added" menu.

I never talked about "recently added". The OP title says "recent applications". I cannot find any "recently added" sub-menu to the KDE Application menu, though.

c00ter wrote:

Your's is the first post of this nature that I recall in recent times. Hence I ask if you have at least Googled the problem and/or other research so we don't have to do it for you. My applications launcher, the stock Kicker (?) application launcher--actually a plasmoid nowadays--does not have a "Recent applications" menu.

Mine is the first post as it seems I am among the few using the Application Menu instead of the Application Dashboard or the Application Launcher.

c00ter wrote:

I meant do not expect a newly added application to immediately show up in the app launcher. Sometimes a logout/in or reboot may be required.

Look, if you are using any application launcher--there are several--other than the default for Plasma, say so and which one. Also, please differentiate between "recently added" and recently used."

I don't expect either to see an added application to show up in the Recent Application sub-menu.

But I do expect to see an used application to show up  in the Recent Application sub-menu.
I fear I've been really unclear in the OP.
With "Recent Application" I mean that submenu labelled as "Recent Application" where a number of newly used applications show up.

Screenshot of what a Recent Application is in my KDE under Arch Linux

#6 2018-05-17 08:21:07

NoSavvy

You are not alone. I see the same problem although it doesn't bother me.
I think you need to backup and the delete the menu files. I did do this to some "random" files in  ~/.config and reloaded and it has worked. Don't ask which ones though.

#7 2018-05-17 08:39:56

0BADC0DE

NoSavvy wrote:

You are not alone. I see the same problem although it doesn't bother me.
I think you need to backup and the delete the menu files. I did do this to some "random" files in  ~/.config and reloaded and it has worked. Don't ask which ones though.

Thanks for your support.
That's not a real problem, as kate is working fine.
It's more an annoyance.
I don't use more than 10 programs and putting all of them in the task manager would bloat it: the recent applications submenu was instead rather useful.

Board footer