You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-02 16:54:09

desertViking

Moving / to different partition [Solved]

Ok, I was optimistic.  I have an old laptop that I've installed to.  It has a relatively small hard disk, 20GB.  I created a 5 GB to hold the system, and left the rest for /home and /swap.  This seems to have been a poor choice because I've filled up the / partion.  For some reason, even after cleaning out /tmp and some other stuff, I'm not able to breath enough life into it to see what's what.  I am able to boot.

My thought is this.  Rather than just reinstall, I could move / to the bigger partition, and home to the smaller.  This laptop doesn't have to hold much home data since it's an appliance on a larger network.  The network has lots of space for storing private information so home would just hold personal settings.

What are the issues to simply copying / to a different partition?  Obviously I'll need to make modifications to /boog/grub/menu.lst, and fstab.  But what about maintaining proper file ownership and so forth?

Does anyone have a better idea?

Thx in advance.

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#2 2006-08-02 17:30:09

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Moving / to different partition [Solved]

you cleared out pacman cache & abs ?

/var logs ... & stuff

may help give you a bit more room

As for moving or resizing backup first (you know that!)

Mr Green

#3 2006-08-02 18:13:44

desertViking

I was probably more ruthless than I should have been in cleaning out the /tmp and logs, but so far so good.  I backed up a copy of /etc which has most everything I need for recreating the system. 

How about actually copying /?  It looks like a simple cp -Rp / /mnt/hda3 would do what I want, then modify the menu list and fstab files.  What do you think?

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#4 2006-08-02 18:38:06

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Noooooooooooooooooo!

Errr check wiki reiser4 page I think masy help with move

you do not want to copy /dev & /sys I forget

yeah check wiki first

measure twice cut once something like that ;-)

Mr Green

#5 2006-08-02 19:52:49

desertViking

That appears to have enough to work from.  Thx for the pointer!

Board footer