You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-18 12:09:49

shera10001

How to find out where the microphone is located [SOLVED]

I am using discord, and it is not detecting a microphone. However, when I record with audacity, somehow my voice is being picked up. I don't have any multimedia device attached to the computer, only a webcam. Does it have a microphone, or does my CPU have one inbuilt somehow? The device toolbar of audacity says -
Audio Host - ALSA
Recording device - default
Recording Channels - 2 (Stereo) Recording Channels
Playback device - HDA Intel MID <device code here> Analog (hw:1,0)

My problem is that I can't locate the microphone on my computer, and am wondering if it is inside an old webcam I found and tried out today. Webcam's video is working so I'm wondering if that is the device providing the recording input source.

Last edited by shera10001 (2018-05-18 13:11:02)

#2 2018-05-18 12:56:46

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: How to find out where the microphone is located [SOLVED]

Likely to be the webcam yes, i'm not entirely sure what you are asking? Change the default recording device to something more explicit that might tell you which device it actually is, or run

arecord -lL

for both a list of physical devices and a list of PCM definitions (i.e. the 'default' device should point to a physical device as given by the arecord -l output.

#3 2018-05-18 13:10:27

shera10001

Re: How to find out where the microphone is located [SOLVED]

I removed the webcame physically from the usb port and could not longer record. This leads me to conclude it is the webcam which has the microphone. I wonder why discord can't detect it. Your command arecord -lL also lists the webcam in the default:CARD so I think this is solved. Thank you!

Board footer