You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-22 02:58:14

jasminabasurita
Website

Xorg, libinput, and Wacom Stylus

Hi all!

I've been trying to figure this out for a minute and keep on spinning in circles. I recently got a 2-in-1 convertible laptop that I've been trying to figure out how to configure just right. I initially tried Gnome with xorg and ran into issues with lack of support for touchscreen gestures, such as grab and drag scrolling. After this I tested out Gnome on Wayland, which worked wonderfully with many of the gestures, but has many of it's own bugs. After digging a bit, I found that the issue with xorg's lack of support for gestures actually lied in drivers. After swapping out everything with xf86-input for libinput, almost everything in xorg works just like I would like it to and with next to no bugs. However the one last thing I can't seem to get right is recognition of the Wacom stylus eraser. In Wayland the eraser is read out of box with no configuration, and xorg with xf86-input-wacom also recognizes the eraser (while removing gesture support).

When running libinput-debug-events and using the pen I get this output:

-event9 TABLET_TOOL_PROXIMITY +79.16s  214.78*/106.82* pressure: 0.00* pen (0x990c20ab, id 0x11) proximity-in axes:p btn:SS2

And for the eraser:

event9 TABLET_TOOL_PROXIMITY +297.78s  197.48*/98.26* pressure: 0.00* eraser (0x990c20ab, id 0x11) proximity-in axes:p btn:SS2

I assume that the 0x990c20ab, id 0x11 is how the device is being identified and since the two use the same id, this may be where the issue arises. Libinput is clearly able to differentiate between the two given that it labels one as an eraser and the other as a pen. And xorg is able to handle the eraser with a different driver, so I imagine there must be some way to connect the 2 together.

All documentation I've read thus far for configuring the wacom in xorg have been for use of the xf86-input-wacom driver and thus I haven't been sure how much is transferable to libinput. As things currently are I would rather keep things as they are than switch to either wayland or xf86-input-wacom, as this setup is so far the closest to how I'd like it. But it would be great to figure out what's up with the eraser.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance

#2 2018-06-05 10:24:16

morarch

Re: Xorg, libinput, and Wacom Stylus

Hi,
have you gotten any further?

I've reached the same point: using x11 and libinput under Gnome

In

libinput debug-events

my touch screen input (finger) and eraser of the pen produce the same event (event5).

The tip of the pen doesn't produce any event, although it's recognized by

libinput list-devices

as event6.

Installing the updated kernel modules input-wacom-dkms didn't help.

I think you're one step closer, since your pen and eraser both produce event9.
What's your hardware model? Mine is the Yoga 12 and Thinkpad Stylus

edit: turns out the battery of my pen is dead, a new battery and everything is working again

Last edited by morarch (2018-06-08 17:38:43)

Board footer